Website Flathead Electric Cooperative
Want to work in beautiful Northwest Montana only minutes away from Glacier National Park, Whitefish Mountain Resort and Flathead Lake?
Flathead Electric Cooperative is the largest rural electric cooperative in Montana, serving over 70,000 consumers and is a leader in innovative projects. Flathead Electric is seeking a dynamic and personable analyst as we plan for an upcoming retirement.
Application Deadline: Friday, April 16, 2021 at 5 pm MDT
Reports to: Director of Regulatory Affairs
FLSA Status: Exempt
Work Unit: Non-Union
Location: Kalispell, MT
Grade/Level: 13 (Minimum Salary: $83,759; DOE)
Analyze and prepare annual and long-range load forecasts, develop Cost of Service Analysis studies, rate design studies, economic and statistical modeling, and load studies.
- Lead the preparation of annual and 10-year load forecasts to determine energy and demand sales, member sales revenues, distinct metered services, and energy and demand power purchases. Prepare annual budget forecast, forecast sensitivities, and forecast narrative, and present to management and Board of Trustees. Prepare annual 10-year total system load forecast and submit to regional entities including Bonneville Power as directed by management. Assist in incorporating the 10-year load forecasts into the annual 10-year financial forecasts and the annual power requirement studies.
- Develop and maintain a Cooperative load profile study to derive load and coincidence factors for the COSA study; to estimate demand-side management potential; to aide in the Cooperative’s peak-shaving program; and to develop time-of-use rate design options. Work closely with metering and IT in collecting and maintaining a load profile database.
- Lead the development of annual Cost of Service Analysis (COSA) study to allocate the Board approved annual budget revenue requirement and Board approved 10-year financial forecast rate increase to the Cooperative’s member classes. Develop and present a COSA summary presentation to management and Board of Trustees.
- Lead the design and evaluation of rate options given Board approved COSA member class cost allocations and complete the supporting proof of revenue study for all proposed rate options. Present to management and Board of Trustees. Develop rate schedules for Board approved member rates and assist the billing work group in implementing new rate schedules. Assist in developing interconnection tariffs for members with on-site cogeneration or distributed generation facilities. Provide rate comparison updates of regional utilities and neighboring cooperative rates to management and Board of Trustees.
- At the beginning of each month, update the usage and revenue database and summarize sales, revenues and distinct member meters by customer and rate-class type. Prior to financial statement issuance, provide written narrative discussing variances between monthly actual and budget sales, revenues, purchases, and cost of power as well as variances between current and prior year.
- Assist and serve as the backup for validating monthly power purchase invoices, maintaining the power purchase database, and billing members for any applicable facility-use or New Large Single Load charges.
- Serve as a special project manager or team member in conducting research and performing the analyses on special projects as requested by management (i.e., conservation programs, demand response programs, renewable distributed generation, battery storage, electric vehicles, and any other transformative technology project, etc.)
- Assist in the development of economic and statistical models to analyze effects of actions on the Cooperative, the local economy, and members (e.g., price elasticity studies, rate & employment impacts, fuel switching, etc.)
- Provide support to management and other employees of the Cooperative:
– Assist in analyzing pending state and federal regulations.
– Assist in researching and performing analyses on special projects as requested.
– Provide regulatory support as requested by management.
- Always assist members/vendors/employees and the general public in a courteous and professional manner ensuring their continued satisfaction with FEC. Work in harmony and show respect to all fellow employees to promote an effective and pleasant working environment.
- Maintain ongoing communication with supervisor regarding situations requiring immediate attention, problems/concerns, questions, etc.
- In pursuit of zero workplace incidents, promotes and maintains a positive safety culture while adhering to all applicable policies outlined in the Safety Manual. Reports all incidents and potential safety hazards in a timely manner to supervisor or Safety Resource Officer.
- Become familiar with and keep current with F.E.C. objectives and applicable policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management applying the same skill and enthusiasm as with regularly assigned responsibilities.
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor’s degree required in a business or economics related field with the successful completion of course work in mathematics, economics, statistics and finance, or an equivalent 10 years of practical experience in a field that focused on applying mathematics economics, statistics and financial principles using data base/spreadsheet software and statistical/forecasting programs.
Job Related Experience: In addition to education, 3 years of utility experience in performing analytical, financial and/or forecasting work.
Computer Skills: Proficient on personal computer with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products required as well as being proficient with forecasting programs.
Certificates & Licenses: None required.
Able to work 40 hours a week, with overtime as required.
Must have a valid Montana driver’s license and be insurable.
Must always present a professional appearance.
Must possess effective verbal and written communications skills, demonstrated ability to work effectively with a team; must be self-motivated and willing to accept responsibility.
Must have excellent reasoning and deductive skills; demonstrated ability to perform complex quantitative analyses and present information in an understandable format.
Able to maintain complete confidentiality.
Able to travel occasionally out-of-area and overnight.
For physical demands and reasonable accommodations statement, please see full job description posted on application website.
To apply for this job please visit www.flatheadelectric.com.