Company Name: Consumers Power, Inc.
Phone Number: (541) 929-8502
Job Title: Field Engineering Tech (Line Staker)
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: July 26, 2016
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: Mon-Thurs 4x10
Work Time Type: Days
CPI is looking for a Field Engineering Tech (Line Staker or Trainee) to join our Engineering team. We offer an excellent benefits package which includes a defined benefit retirement plan as well as a 401(K). We also offer medical, dental, vision, PTO, and an employee assistance program. We work an amazing 4×10 Mon – Thurs schedule and work in a newly remodeled, state of the art facility. We’re looking for the right candidate to help us succeed in our mission to improve the quality of life for our members by providing high quality electric service and promoting the widest, most beneficial and efficient use of electricity.
The Field Engineering Tech (Line Staker) position at Consumers Power Inc. is an integral part of the Engineering team actively participating in Engineering and Operations department meetings. The Field Engineering Tech (Line Staker) spends his/her time designing and staking electrical services for members, residential developments, small and large commercial members, and industrial complexes. Approximately 50% of his/her time is spent in the field and the other 50% is spent in the office.
- Make contact with members and affected property owners in the field regarding line location and easements.
- Responsible for permit and easement acquisition.
- Responsible for locating and staking member line extensions.
- Responsible for supervising Line Staker Trainees if/when working together on a project.
- Design and stake system improvements, upgrades, modifications, new power line extensions, and pole replacements.
- Prepare cost estimates for distribution, single and three phase, overhead and underground construction, maintenance and system improvement projects.
- Schedule and direct pre-construction meetings with members, contractors, and other staff.
- Coordinate with members to provide best engineered and feasible solutions that meet both the member and the Co-op’s needs.
- Maintain and improve the accuracy of Graphical Information System (GIS) mapping through as-built entry and correction of existing data, using computerized staking applications.
- Confer with engineering staff and other personnel to resolve line construction conflict/difficulties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Scope of Responsibility:
- This position has no supervisory responsibility.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Minimum one year work experience in drafting and survey work.
- Minimum two years’ work experience staking line.
- Completion of two year Engineer or Line Staking Program or any combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. (Typical education would include an AA degree from an accredited college, university, or equivalent with appropriate technical coursework. Typical experience would include five years relevant experience in the electrical utility transmission and distribution field with two years in electric estimating/design, or a related field.)
- Valid Oregon State Driver’s License
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of electric theory and practice and a detailed knowledge of REA and Co-op construction specifications, the National Electric Code, the National Electric Safety Code, and state and local codes.
- Working knowledge of operating a transit.
- Strong computer skills and understanding of broad range of computing technologies.
- Must be able to think through design and construction processes and be able to lay out workable designs with realistic time lines and construction sequences.
- Must be able to calculate pole, pole top assembly, conductor, guy and anchor strengths and be able to assess NESC code requirements for utility installations.
- Demonstrated ability to courteously meet members and the public utilizing good interpersonal and member service skills for effective communication.
- Ability to multi-task, adapt to changing priorities, and meet set deadlines, despite interruptions and distractions.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational, analytical, drafting, and proofreading skills with the ability to create and maintain accurate and complete records.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work efficiently, with little or no supervision to meet deadlines and balance multiple tasks.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing with all levels of the organization, outside agencies, and the public.
- Must be knowledgeable in the use of tools and equipment used in the engineering profession.
- Ability to become knowledgeable in the Co-op’s service rules, regulations, rates and policies.
- Must have demonstrated ability to be punctual and regular in attendance.
- Operate a personal computer, and use computer-aided drafting equipment or conventional drafting stations, technical handbooks, tables, calculators, and traditional drafting tools, such as boards, pencils, protractors, etc.
- Operates standard office equipment and machines such as printer, fax, calculator, copy machine, multi-line telephones and keyboard.
- Subject to outside weather/driving conditions when working in the field.
- Possible exposure to numerous types of air-borne allergens, depending upon location, season or climatic conditions.
- May also be exposed to insects, bee/wasp stings, animal bites, or poison oak.
- Inside work environment is a secure, well-lit, temperature controlled office building.
- Work hours are 4×10, Mon – Thurs 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with occasional overtime.
- Frequent travel to meet with members and occasional travel to meetings, training, etc.
- Work entails regular entering/exiting of vehicle, in all driving conditions.
- Observe and abide by all Co-op policies, goals and objectives.
- Tolerate prolonged computer related exposure.
How to Apply:
Resume’s will be reviewed as they come in. So, interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume’ at their earliest convenience to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax at (541)929-8501
Consumers Power Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified persons including disabled and Veterans, women, racial and ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and persons of all ages to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, please call (541) 929-8502
Posting End Date: August 25, 2016