The New York Power Authority (NYPA) is seeking an Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer to lead its Utility Operations business unit and play a critical role in achieving NYPA’s transformative Strategic Vision.
NYPA is the largest state-owned electric utility in the nation and one of New York State’s leading power suppliers. NYPA owns and operates 16 generation facilities and more than 1,400 circuit-miles of transmission lines. It is a national leader in promoting energy efficiency, and the development of clean energy technologies and electric vehicles. NYPA customers include job-producing companies; government agencies; nonprofits; municipal and rural cooperative electric systems; and neighboring states, under federal requirements.
The electric power industry stands on the brink of transformational, perhaps revolutionary, change. This presents opportunities that will enable us to become increasingly sophisticated about how we design, operate and maintain our generation and transmission facilities so they deliver optimal results for our customers and the state in an dynamic environment.
With its strong financial foundation, variety of generation and transmission assets across the state, and long history of achievements in customer energy services, NYPA is well positioned to help turn uncertainty in the industry into opportunity. The Strategic Vision boldly redefines NYPA’s role in the power system to meet the needs of the environmentally sustainable and energy-driven economy of the 21st century.
The Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Utility Operations is responsible for establishing the vision and strategy to lead the Business Unit in the execution of critical and transformative operational strategic initiatives including but not limited to asset management, infrastructure upgrades, and technology improvements while maintaining engineering and operational excellence. Manage the overall operation of its generation and transmission assets and ensure financial strength and operating safety and efficiency including overall P&L ownership. This position is responsible for managing NYPA’s generation and transmission, compliance with various state, local and regulatory standards, engineering, operations support, labor relations and other project and business development initiatives. This position reports directly to the President & CEO and is a member of the executive management team.
- Lead a diverse management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to respond to maintaining efficient operations.
- Inspire a shared vision while questioning past assumptions and challenging the status quo. Acts as a change agent by utilizing various change management techniques to enhance business process and operational excellence.
- Align all functional departments which include generation and transmission, environmental health & safety, labor relations, operations support, power generation, project and business development, and technical compliance to operate together seamlessly and effectively to achieve goals and overall strategy.
- Ensure safe, reliable and cost effective power and water operations through oversight of gas and hydroelectric operations and transmission systems.
- Manages the economic aspects of the operations organization (P&L) with a focus on fiscal responsibility and cost-consciousness in accordance with applicable policies.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, local and industry (e.g., NERC) regulations including environmental health and safety and technical compliance.
- Establish and monitor key performance indicators for management of the operations group.
- Advise the CEO, the Board of Trustees, and other company executives on matters pertaining to Operations activities, and ensures all functions that she is responsible for are operating together effectively to achieve the strategy.
- Oversee and contribute to the direction and administration of labor relations strategies.
- Monitor industry trends and best practices in generation and transmission including advances in technology and implement best practices.
- Ensures operations are executed with high levels of safety, quality while encouraging continuous improvement.