Company Name: Commonwealth Utilities Corporation
Phone Number: (670) 664-4282
State/Provence: Northern Mariana Islands
Job Title: Executive Director
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Management
Posting Start Date: March 30, 2016
Salary: Based on credentials and specialized experience as a utility executive in a U.S. state, U.S. territory, U.S. commonwealth, and/or the District of Columbia.
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Duties: Work under the direct supervision of the Board of Directors or his/her designee. Supervises staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and, making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations. Assumes full management responsibility for all of CUC’s divisions and services. Directs and oversees the strategic planning, development and implementation of programs and services; directs operations within financial constraints and in accordance with CUC policies, regulations, and under the direction of the Board. Monitors and evaluates efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and processes; assesses and monitors service delivery levels; identifies opportunities, weaknesses and strengths of divisions; directs the implementation of changes. Plans, directs and coordinates work of divisions through the upper management team by meeting with management to identify, prioritize and resolve problems. Manages the development and implementation of goals, objectives, missions, policies, priorities and allocations of resources. Participates on a variety of board and committees and attends a wide variety of management meetings. Performs short and long-range strategic planning. Prepares and submits annual budget recommendations and financial analysis for Board approval; implements, communicates and administers approved budget; ensures fiscal compliance. Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
CONTRACT: Two-year, subject to renewal.
Successful candidates for CUC’s Executive Director must have the following:
- Education or Education/License Combination:
- Master’s degree in management, engineering, finance, or public administration, “OR”, in the alternative, a bachelor’s degree in engineering and registration as a Professional Engineer pursuant to the National Council of Engineering Examiners standards in either the civil, mechanical, or electrical branch;
- Senior management experience of at least ten (10) years in a similar wastewater, drinking water, and/or power utility (preferably combined utility), with similar or greater capital and operating budgets, capital improvement projects, human resource needs, utility financing issues, operation and maintenance training and implementation needs.
- In addition, the Executive Director (ED) shall demonstrated the following: Proven management and communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop staff;
- Experience with managing major drinking water and wastewater systems during periods of planning, design, and construction; and Experience with drinking water and wastewater systems; user fee system development; bond funding; staff training and development; and federal drinking water and wastewater requirements.
- Knowledge of:
- Applicable Federal, Commonwealth and local laws, codes, regulations and/or ordinances;
- Advanced managerial principles, practices and techniques;
- Leadership principles;
- Utility service administration principles and practices;
- Financial management and forecasting principles;
- Strategy development principles and procedures;
- Contract management principles;
- Risk management principles;
- Customer service principles;
- Project management principles;
- Modern office technology.
- Skill in:
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations and standards;
- Managing, monitoring, and evaluating subordinates;
- Providing organizational leadership and administration;
- Developing and executing strategic plans, programs, and policies;
- Planning and oversight of organizational programs and functions;
- Providing strategic and visionary thinking;
- Providing short and long-range planning, development and implementation;
- Forecasting, developing and administering organization budget;
- Critical thinking and independent decision making;
- Providing legal, policy and contractual compliance oversight;
- Serving as organization representative to management, the Board and external stakeholders;
- Preparing and delivering public presentations;
- Providing fiscally sound decision making;
- Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications;
- Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, and others to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Driver’s License:
- Must have a CNMI driver’s license or one from a U.S. jurisdiction.
RELOCATION EXPENSES: If hired from outside the CNMI, relocation expenses are negotiable; but they are not to exceed $5,000.00 for moving to Saipan and not to exceed $5,000.00 for moving away from Saipan. Receipts will be required for justification. Other conditions may be applicable.
How to Apply:
SUBMISSION PROCESS: To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, a list of references, and a CUC Employment Application by one of the following means:
- United States Postal Service, First Class Mail or Priority Mail*:
Human Resource Office
Commonwealth Utilities Corporation
- P.O. Box 501220, Saipan, MP 96950-1220 USA
*If you choose to submit via USPS, please still also fax “or” email “or” drop off your package.
- Fax: 670-235-5131
- Drop Off:
Drop off your package at the CUC Human Resource Office located on the 3rd Floor of the Joeten Dandan Building on Saipan. Otherwise, you may drop it off at the CUC Tinian or Rota Administration Office.
POLICIES: The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation is an equal opportunity provider and employer and will not discriminate or tolerate discrimination against any employee or applicant in any manner prohibited by law.
It is also the policy of CUC to achieve a drug-free workplace and persons selected for employment will be required to pass a drug test which screens for illegal drug use prior to final appointment.
Posting End Date: April 29, 2016