Company Name: Okanogan PUD
Phone Number: (509) 422-8471
Job Title: Engineering Supervisor
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: June 8, 2017
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 8
Work Time Type: Hours
A. Job Summary
This primary purpose of this position is to supervise the Engineering department, perform distribution system planning; substation, transmission, and distribution design; operation of electrical system; engineering studies and projects; technical support; and engineering standards and specifications.
- Supervision: Responsible for setting goals, monitoring progress, providing training, guidance for Engineering department; and fostering a team atmosphere.
- System planning: Responsible for the overall planning and design to ensure efficient, safe and reliable operation of District substation, transmission and distribution facilities.
- Perform or direct substation, transmission and distribution system design: Work with the Construction Design Manager and Operations Manager to identify system improvement projects. Interpret scope and requirements of projects, develop alternatives, economic evaluations, evaluate environmental impacts, recommend action, implementation and project management. Incorporate these projects into a long-term planning document for inclusion in the Districts Equity Management Plan.
- Operation of electrical system: Determine voltage control settings, relay settings, equipment sizing. Continual review of system operation to ensure adequate delivery voltage, proper coordination and that equipment operates within ratings. Design and implement solutions to electrical system problems. Work with field personnel to resolve operational/engineering issues. Manage SCADA master station and attached IED devices.
- Engineering Studies and Projects: Perform or direct system studies for current and future transmission/distribution lines. Model feeders, load flow, voltage, fault current, VAr flow and loss analysis. Design and analyze protection settings and coordination. SCADA, AMR, grounding systems, control circuits and electrical equipment. Transmission line and distribution substation siting. Work to solve and prevent problems related to customer interface including motor start, harmonic loads and other power quality problems.
- Technical support: Provide engineering support for District employees, residential, commercial, irrigation, and industrial customers. Review and recommend system design changes to engineering personnel to ensure proper operation of District facilities.
- Engineering standards and specifications: Specify equipment, engineering and construction practices. Perform detailed engineering evaluation of system disturbances. Determine electrical and mechanical requirements for equipment purchases. Prepare specifications and bid documents. Make decisions on purchase and construction practices. Responsible for maintaining substation drawings and documents.
- Performance of other duties as required: Includes performing after-hours standby duty on a rotating basis; membership on job-related committees; represent District in contacts with general public, land developers, contractors, utilities and agencies.
- Research and prepare yearly budget for section.
- Travel/unusual working conditions: Attend local and regional meetings as required. May be required to work beyond regular workday and/or on call, as in the event of an outage.
- Regular and punctual attendance is an essential function of this job.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Familiarity with transmission, distribution and substation design.
- Working knowledge of NESC, NEC, ANSI, IEEE, WAC, WECC/NERC and other applicable standards.
- Ability to analyze, calculate and implement proper settings for coordinating system protective devices; substation power transformers and breakers, relays, reclosers, cap banks, sectionalizers, fuses and voltage regulators.
- Ability to supervise staff and maintain a positive team atmosphere.
- Working knowledge of AMR, SCADA, project management; construction procedures; writing specifications and standards.
- Working knowledge of general service requirements for installation of 1Ø and 3Ø services, both self-contained and CT. Understanding of and ability to analyze power quality issues encountered on the electrical system.
- Ability to manage a SCADA system; Master station hardware, databases, software & updates, RTU and IED implementation, build and modify screens.
- Contact with public, customers, news media, other utilities and agencies requires the demonstrated ability to communicate technical subjects to customers and employees while respecting their level of expertise. Able to work closely with engineering peers and other District employees to accomplish goals of the District’s.
- Experience with a variety of computer equipment; PC’s, servers, switches. Proficient with software relating to spreadsheets, word processors, AutoCAD, databases, GIS/Mapping, distribution line design and analysis, protective relays, SCADA master station, RTU’s, recloser and regulator controllers.
- Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering required.
- Professional Engineer’s License required.
- Six (6) – Eight (8) years electric utility experience.
How to Apply:
See www.okanoganpud.org for list of opportunities along with job descriptions and requirements. Please submit online application with resume and cover letter. Okanogan PUD is an Equal Opportunity Provider and Employer.
Posting End Date: July 7, 2017