Company Name: Portland General Electric
Phone Number: (503) 464-7250
Job Title: Engineer III, Transmission Operations Advanced Applications
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: June 12, 2017
Salary Per: Per Month
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 7, 2017
Portland General Electric values the energy of teamwork, diversity, and innovation to provide our customers with safe and reliable power. As Oregon’s largest provider of electric service, PGE is helping to shape Oregon’s energy future.
What is it like to work at PGE? Well, it’s fun. It’s challenging. It’s enriching. And with the average employee spending nearly 14 years with us, we think you’ll like it too.
You’ll work with talented coworkers in a supportive and results-oriented environment. Our progressive vision and commitment to excellence in our service and operations will keep you and your coworkers engaged and aimed towards excellence.
Are you ready to be part of an essential, dynamic and motivating company? Join our team – apply for a position today.
Engineer III, Transmission Operations Advanced Applications
Maintain engineering system models used for advanced applications (i.e. state estimation, real-time contingency analysis). Analyze, recommend, and implement model improvements necessary to deliver accurate model solutions. Provide engineering support to system operators and the EMS support group for advanced applications. Serve as the primary modeling contact for the Reliability Coordinator (RC), external entities, and the California ISO (CAISO). Demonstrate compliance with applicable NERC/WECC reliability standards.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- (50%) Update the Energy Management System (EMS) Advanced Application database to reflect equipment and facility electrical parameters, configuration, and operating limits. Fulfill accurate and timely data exchange requirements to Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC), Peak RC, neighboring utilities, and CAISO.
- (20%) Provide technical support concerning model performance for SCC Operators, Transmission Operations Study Engineers, EMS Support Group, Energy Imbalance Market Readiness (EIMR) group.
- (15%) Develop, recommend, and implement Advanced Application improvements/expansions. Tasks may include model re-equivalence for external utility modeling, providing technical support for the Operator Training Simulator (OTS), configure Look-Ahead Contingency Analysis (CA) module, and configure Transient Stability Analysis (TSA) module.
- (10%) Demonstrate compliance with applicable NERC/WECC reliability standards for transmission operations. Interface with other PGE workgroups to support their compliance efforts as needed. This may include administering required training for which the Advanced Application Engineer is the subject matter expert (SME).
- (5%) Participate in user groups (i.e. CAISO Release User Group (RUG), EMS vendor user groups, etc.)
- Position requires a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering.
- Requires a minimum of five years of engineering experience with a Professional Engineering License (PE) or eight years of engineering experience without a PE license.
- Thorough knowledge of PGE’s or similar electrical transmission and distribution system.
- Thorough knowledge of electrical principles and concepts.
- Thorough knowledge of SE and RTCA principles and concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to use real-time and off-line power-flow software applications.
- Working knowledge of protection schemes for substations and transmission/distribution facilities.
- Be familiar with and able to use high-level programming languages.
- Be familiar with SCADA and EMS concepts and practices.
- Have a valid Oregon driver’s license or the ability to obtain a license.
How to Apply:
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the deadline:
https://PGN.igreentree.com/CSS_External/CSSPage_Referred.ASP?Req=R16-741 If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 503-464-7250.
Interested in the extras? PGE offers a range of competitive benefits including medical insurance, paid vacation, a company matching gift program, tuition reimbursement and retirement savings that includes a 401(k) plan with matching company contributions and a PGE stock purchase plan. Additionally, PGE provides robust on-the-job development and training opportunities, as well as incentives for meeting company goals and encouraging health, safety and community volunteerism.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
THIS IS AN INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Posting End Date: July 7, 2017