Company Name: Sacramento Municipal Utility District
Job Title: Energy Coordinator-Special Projects
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Energy Services / Energy Efficiency
Posting Start Date: December 15, 2016
Salary: $127,260 – $158,952
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time Type: Hours
Coordinates input into intra-SMUD and external organizations regarding operational requirements associated with utility restructuring and new retail business relationships.Provide technical expertise in the development of strategies and procedures to meet SMUD’s operational and business objectives.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Serves as Project Manager for high profile projects, assists in the development of project objectives, develops project plans including scope, schedule, and cost; coordinates key project activities with external agencies/entities; monitors project progress and expenditures; assists in resolving conflicts and discrepancies; maintains project records and files; leads the overall review of completed projects and makes recommendations for next steps. Provides regular written and oral reports to Management. .
- Serves as the department and SMUD representative on industry work groups dealing with grid reliability and other policies, including ISO, utility restructuring, regional transmission organizations, and new retail business relationships. Evaluates impact of industry information and proposals on technical aspects of SMUD business models including planning and operations; develops recommended SMUD strategies and responses.
- Provides direct and indirect testimony and evidence pertaining to transmission reliability issues for SMUD use in regulatory environments to protect SMUD’s interests.
- Prioritizes projects and directs resources and integrates processes of work segments which support the Grid Planning department in achieving SMUD’s goals and objectives
- Assists in development and administering the department budget by monitoring budget expenditures in area of responsibility against plan; participating in identifying and reconciling budget anomalies; monitoring and revising schedules, expenditures and assignments as warranted; reviewing end-of-year budget results. And participating in the review of preliminary department budget recommendations.
- Provides advice and recommendations to Management with respect to industry restructuring and new business opportunities.
Seven or more years of progressively responsible electric utility industry experience in the areas of engineering, design, and construction of power transmission, generation, including dealing with public outreach, outside agencies, vendors, and manufacturers. Three or more years of progressively responsible project management experience with high profile projects for an electric utility or private developer.Education:
BS degree from an accredited college or university majoring in Engineering, or related field or equivalent experience.Knowledge of:
Principles of electric generating and transmission systems, including interconnected operation of utilities; principles, practices and techniques of project management; procedures and practices for cost control and project scheduling; procedures and practices for overseeing contractors/consultants work activities; procedures and practices for project budget management; electrical and mechanical theory; generation facilities, control equipment, and power systems operation; line loading and rating limits, and equipment capabilities; safety practices; computerized control systems; transmission and substation operating principles; inter-utility contracts for energy exchange; transmission wheeling and power interchange transaction practices; principles of utilization and conservation of water in the generation of electricity; principles of thermal generation and its integration with hydro generation; power flow theory; voltage regulation theory; energy accounting principles; protective relay principles; interconnected utility operations; generator and turbine characteristics.
Serve as Project Management representative on high profile projects; develop training and briefing materials on complex subject matter; analyze transmission, planning, environmental, and economic studies to determine the operational impacts associated with such subjects; analyze power contracts and develop power contract language to resolve operational concerns; plan, schedule and coordinate complex work activities; analyze statistical data and develop solutions and recommendations; prepare and present clear and concise analytical information and reports; communicate effectively both orally and in writing internally/externally; establish and maintain effective working relationships internally/externally; respond to and resolve customer issues, concerns and needs; interact with others to influence and coordinate the work of the business unit with other departments; gain cooperation from technical and non-technical staff, contractors, consultants and professionals from outside agencies to complete assigned tasks/projects; motivate and challenge.
Additional Posting Info for Candidate
The posting may close without notice after Tuesday, January 3, 2017. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Posting End Date: January 13, 2017