Website Emerald People's Utility District
Employment Status: Regular, Non-exempt, Full-Time position
Benefit Package: Regular, Full-Time Employee Benefits
Schedule: 4 x 10s or 5 x 8s with Flexible Schedule Options
Reports to: Operations Manager
To Apply: Visit https://www.epud.org/about-us/careers/ to complete the online application and submit the following documents:
- Cover letter (Explain why you want to be considered for this position. Please provide details about your past work-related experience to support your qualifications.)
- Veterans’ Preference Form, if applicable
Culture and Environment:
Emerald PUD is looking to add a knowledgeable, experienced, and motivated Purchasing Agent to our team. This position is responsible for the procurement and oversight of Emerald’s materials and equipment. This role plays a critical function in Emerald’s day-to-day and strategic work and we are looking for someone who can be a subject matter expert and guide to help us through the ongoing supply chain challenges.
We offer a robust and competitive benefit package, including exceptional medical coverage. In addition, Emerald covers the cost of the monthly medical premiums for employees and their dependents.
At Emerald PUD, we take pride in delivering an essential service to our customers, with safety and reliability as our top priorities. We were founded on the idea that employees should own part of the decision-making process and have upheld that value through the years. We strive to create an environment where employees are empowered to do what is right for both the utility and our customers. We are a small and nimble team that can adapt quickly when conditions change and we get the opportunity to wear many hats and collaborate with other departments and employees on a regular basis. We provide flexible schedule options, offer a strong compensation package, and continuously look for ways to help our employees create and maintain a healthy work/life balance.
The Purchasing Agent plays a key role in Emerald’s long term strategic plan and ability to provide reliable service to our customer-owners. This position provides strategic and day-to-day support with the procurement and management of materials and equipment. This role is responsible for working with all departments to identify material needs, researching product options, ordering materials, overseeing lead times and delivery dates, ensuring correct and sufficient materials are received, and communicating the status of orders to all affected individuals or departments. This requires the ability to: effectively negotiate with vendors and persuade them to prioritize Emerald’s purchasing needs; provide proactive and effective communication to the internal customers; thoroughly understand the organization’s and internal customers’ purchasing needs; comprehend the purpose, function, and specifications of varying materials, equipment, and supplies; anticipate future material needs and potential issues with procurement; and understand and abide by purchasing laws and regulations. These critical functions ensure Emerald has the equipment needed to conduct day-to-day operations and construct, maintain, and repair electric lines and services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Amount of time working in each function may vary. It is expected that the amount of time spent performing each function will fluctuate as needed for an employee to successfully manage their schedule.
1. Purchasing and Material Oversight
- Own the process for ordering supplies, materials, and equipment, which includes
- Working with all departments and stakeholders to identify supply, material, and equipment needs
- Gathering sufficient data to understand the purpose, function, and specifications of the item(s) needed
- Proactively researching options, including lead times and vendors
- Consulting with stakeholders to review options, provide a recommendation, and get agreement on path forward
- Creating purchase orders if needed, ordering materials, and monitoring lead times and delivery dates
- Communicating any changes or delays with submitted orders
- Confirming type and quantity of materials received is correct and meets quality standards
- Informing stakeholders that materials have been received and are ready to utilize
- Process picklists, which includes:
- Reviewing materials needed on each list
- Adding special equipment items if needed
- Ensuring availability, both physically and in the accounting system
- Filing pick sheet in appropriate location to signify materials are ready
- Charging materials to specific work orders in the accounting system for completed pick sheets
- Take ownership of Emerald’s inventory to ensure sufficient stock and collaborate on inventory management with Operations and Accounting departments, which includes:
- Scheduling, organizing, and conducting inventory on a periodic basis
- Utilizing system reports to monitor supply levels and identify ordering needs
- Communicating and collaborating with Operations staff to identify committed materials and upcoming needs
- Adjusting materials planning based on changes made within the Standards Committee
- Maintaining strong vendor relationships and communication to assist with procurement needs
- Write and submit requests for quotes and proposal, which includes facilitating the staff decision making process.
- Process transformers and retired equipment, which includes:
- Numbering transformers
- Charging them out in the accounting system
- Coordinating the testing, disposal, and retirement process
- Assist with annual budget preparation and ongoing budget needs by preparing recommendations and quarterly projections.
- Understand and operate within Oregon public purchasing laws and regulations and Emerald’s policies pertaining to the acquisition and disposal of materials.
- Serve as Emerald’s subject matter expert for all applicable Federal and State laws and regulations; support other staff in understanding and complying with the same.
- Assist with the process for handling environmental and hazardous waste, which includes maintaining files for chemicals storage and disposal activities.
3. Communication and Collaboration
- Provide exceptional service to both internal and external customers to help build Emerald’s brand as a trusted advisor, provider of choice, and employer of choice.
- Focus on developing strong working relationships with colleagues to gain trust and cooperation.
- Collaborate with all utility departments to identify future, existing, and ongoing material needs.
- Communicate with vendors and business partners in a professional manner and negotiate with tact.
4. Work Management
- Embrace the culture of empowerment by using sound judgment, thoroughly reviewing and analyzing problems, making reasonable recommendations, and developing alternate solutions when necessary.
- Work independently and take ownership of assignments, following through to ensure projects and tasks are completed on time and in a thorough manner.
- Take initiative to solve problems and explore opportunities to increase efficiencies.
5. Computer and Technology Use
- Utilize computer systems and programs to gather and analyze data.
- Stay informed of new technologies to ensure processes are proactive and cost effective.
- Provide assistance to generate meaningful information to assist with decision making, increase efficiency, and maximize productivity.
- Be receptive to opportunities and changes involving new technologies and procedures.
6. Support to Warehouse and Contracts
- Provide support to the Warehouseman and Contracts and Records Specialist and/or act as a back up when they are out of the office. This can include:
- Unloading delivered materials from trucks.
- Loading materials onto crew trucks and equipment.
- Monitoring warehouse inventory levels.
- Preparing quarterly projections for contracted items.
- Preparing recommendation for yearly contracted items.
- Assisting with lease agreements.
- Interfacing with the District’s legal counsel to develop and update contract documents.
7. Perform other duties as assigned related to the job.
1. Strong ability to take ownership of a functional area and ensure internal customer needs are met.
2. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
3. Excellent negotiation skills.
4. Excellent customer service skills.
5. Strong organization and documentation skills.
6. Strong research and analytical skills.
7. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
8. Ability to exercise efficient time management, with the ability to self-direct and self-pace.
9. Ability to take initiative, use sound judgment, and be resourceful.
10. Ability to work well in a team environment and collaborate across departments including peers, customers, and business partners.
11. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
1. Must have at least 5 years of experience in purchasing or procurement.
2. Must have at least 1 year of experience working with State and Federal purchasing laws.
3. Experience with Oregon Minimum Standards is preferred.
4. Experience with public purchasing processes is preferred.
5. Experience in the utility industry is strongly preferred.
6. Must be able to obtain forklift certification within one month of hire.
1. Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
2. Degree in business, accounting, procurement, supply management or a related field is preferred, though long tenure in a purchasing role may be accepted in place of the degree.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
1. Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
2. Use of office equipment where some agility and hand-eye coordination are needed.
3. Must be able to maintain a level of fitness and agility that will meet the physical requirements of the job, which includes the ability to periodically climb stepstools and ladders; operate a forklift; lift, carry, pull, and push items up to 20 lbs; and crouch, stoop, twist, turn, and balance on a frequent basis in order to assess and/or count materials in the warehouse, building, or equipment yard.
4. Work environment can include shared work spaces and exposure to consistent or frequent noise from employee conversations.
5. Must be willing to work over the regular 40 hour/week schedule if requested or be called into work in the event of a power outage or other emergency.
Ongoing or Recurring Tasks and Projects:
The following is a list of ongoing or recurring tasks and projects to help demonstrate what a normal workday might look like and what the overall workload might include.
- Meet with the Warehouseman to determine any current or upcoming supply and material needs and review the status of existing orders.
- Order supplies and materials.
- Review and process picklists and z-open charge outs
- Create purchase orders.
- Release work orders that have been verified to have on hand materials available.
- Meet with the Line Crew Supervisors to discuss Operations’ current or upcoming supply and material needs and review the status of existing orders.
- Meet with the Staking Supervisor to discuss Staking’s current or upcoming supply and material needs and review the status of existing orders.
- Review and maintain Min/Max reports to determine ordering needs.
- Review inventory changes made in the warehouse.
- Check in with vendors about status updates and critical materials information.
- Attend Job Scheduling and Inventory meeting.
- Attend Standards Committee meeting.
- Prepare budget projections.
- Schedule and conduct inventory.
- Prepare recommendation for yearly purchasing budget.
- Write requests for quotes and proposals.
- Charge out new transformers to a work order or maintenance.
- Tag/mark transformers for crews to take out into the field.
- Process retired transformers and other equipment.
- Order fleet and fleet equipment.
- Act as a back up for Warehouseman and/or Contract and Records Specialist.
- Write/create resource documents for supply and material orders that include specs, pictures, and vendor options.
- Write/create resource documents for Purchasing Agent tasks and responsibilities that include instructions on how to complete the tasks.
This description is intended to represent key areas of responsibility. It is not meant to be all inclusive and does not prescribe or restrict the work that may be assigned. Nothing in this description restricts EPUD’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Job descriptions may occasionally be updated, as necessary, to reflect evolving business needs.
To apply for this job please visit www.epud.org.