Company Name: Alaska Village Electric Cooperative
Phone Number: (907) 561-1818
Job Title: Electrical Engineer, PE
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: August 17, 2016
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
This position will design electrical power generation and distribution facilities for isolated utility power systems in rural Alaskan communities, produce design drawings, specifications and procurement documents and provide technical support for facility construction and maintenance.
1. Develop engineering calculations, design drawings and project specifications for utility construction and maintenance projects
2. Design diesel engine generator installations to operate under minimal supervision with automated and non-automated switchgear to provide continuous utility power
3. Develop supervisory control and data acquisition systems and communication systems to automate plant processes and provide remote monitoring
4. Analyze power distribution and generation systems for capacity, load balance, system protection coordination and arc flash analysis
5. Integrate multiple generators, and ancillary equipment, including distributed renewable generation facilities to operate on small isolated grids, maximizing generating efficiency and maintaining power quality.
6. Design overhead and underground power distribution facilities
7. Maintain accurate system drawings and engineering records
8. Provide technical and project support for construction and maintenance of Cooperative facilities
9. Inspect and test completed installations and certify functionality and compliance with design standards.
10. Take on-call responsibility when assigned in rotation with other engineers and managers to receive and handle emergency and trouble calls after hours as forwarded from the answering service.
11. Complete tasks and provide support as directed by the Manager of Engineering.
ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL FUNCATIONS:
1. Clearly and concisely communicate using the English language, through the use of drawings, written words and speaking.
2. Provide accurate technical calculations and reasoned design of mechanical and electrical facilities
3. Attend meetings and correspond with AVEC staff, AVEC members, vendors and contractors.
4. Provide organized, self-motivated work progress, prioritizing efforts for the greatest benefit to the Cooperative.
5. Demonstrate general knowledge of AVEC’s operations, policies, tariff, products and services.
6. Answer and handle calls directed to you through the call center.
7. Preserve confidentiality of cooperative issues when relating to employees, members and general public.
8. Thoroughly understand the work to be done and understand and adhere to ethical design and construction practices.
9. Travel to work locations in remote Alaskan communities to design, inspect and test power generation and distribution facilities.
An employee in the Engineering department may be required to perform any other reasonable duties assigned in order to fulfill the objectives of the cooperative.
Education: Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field from ABET accredited college program.
Experience: A minimum of four years of relevant experience in electrical engineering.
Certification: Professional Electrical Engineering License to practice in the State of Alaska or licensure in another State with ability to obtain Alaska license within 6 months.
How to Apply:
A completed company application is required and may be submitted to email@example.com or mailed to:
Human Resources Department
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc.
4831 Eagle St.
Anchorage, Alaska 99503
An application can be downloaded from our web site at http://avec.org/ Positions open until filled. Interviews by appointment only. This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Posting End Date: September 16, 2016