APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 31, 2016
Portland General Electric values the energy of teamwork, diversity, and innovation to provide our customers with safe and reliable power. As Oregon’s largest provider of electric service, PGE is helping to shape Oregon’s energy future.
What is it like to work at PGE? Well, it’s fun. It’s challenging. It’s enriching. And with the average employee spending nearly 14 years with us, we think you’ll like it too.
You’ll work with talented coworkers in a supportive and results-oriented environment. Our progressive vision and commitment to excellence in our service and operations will keep you and your coworkers engaged and aimed towards excellence.
Are you ready to be part of an essential, dynamic and motivating company? Join our team – apply for a position today.
Electrical Engineer III – Standards R16-573
Perform the functions of a fully competent Standards Engineer by providing engineering solutions to complex problems while minimizing costs and maximizing reliability. Provide engineering expertise in a broad range of assignments relating to transmission and distribution standards including: overhead/underground distribution design; construction practices and materials; transmission line design, construction practices, and materials. Recommend improvements in the areas of transmission and distribution (T&D) standards, operations, maintenance, and materials.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
• Inspect, analyze and perform Transmission and Distribution technical studies of a broad and complex nature.
• Provide technical guidance and interpretation of standards for complex and non-routine problems as requested, to Company management, engineers, and other clients.
• Analyze results of infrared inspections and identify necessary corrective actions.
• Provide engineering expertise for multiple engineering functions for problems of a complex nature.
• Work with regional personnel to address and/or resolve design, construction, and materials issues related to Standards.
• Ensure that solutions to technical problems meet all requirements, applicable codes, and regulatory requirements.
• Ensure solutions are cost effective, timely, functional, practical, and adhere to sound engineering practice.
• Plan and conduct assignments requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, modification, and application of engineering principles, theories, and concepts.
• Support field operations by coordinating the investigation and resolution of material defects or failures. Work with the Standards Lab to prioritize requests, testing requirements and methods, and review of lab analysis prior to publication. Identify trends impacting T&D reliability.
• Perform assignments requiring evaluation and application of complex engineering principles, theories, and concepts.
• Investigate and clearly define problems. Coordinate major project activities requiring subjective judgment.
• Develop, revise, publish, and implement standards, policies, and procedures that govern the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of PGE’s transmission and distribution system.
• Develop, implement, and revise underground material and equipment specifications. Coordinate Standards review meetings, and obtain input and technical data from various stakeholders to prepare well-written technical standards.
• Assist in ensuring that engineered solutions to problems meet technical requirements, all applicable codes and regulatory requirements, and that they are cost-effective, timely, and follow sound engineering practice.
• Perform material and vendor research to support new standards polices and approval of new materials.
• Maintain a thorough understanding of T&D design tools, techniques, regulatory requirements, and applicable state and federal codes to ensure compliance.