Company Name: Cowlitz PUD
Phone Number: (360) 501-9221
Job Title: Electrical Engineer II
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: April 17, 2017
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Apply competent engineering skills and judgment in the performance of electrical engineering work including substation projects, transmission and distribution (T&D) projects and specific assignments. Most of the technical work an Engineer II is responsible for will be performed on his/her own.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluate engineering, construction and maintenance procedures.
- Perform engineering and economic studies and make recommendations based on them.
- Prepare long-range plans, including all necessary studies and presenting the plans to management and Commission members as required.
- Prepare project budgets, engineering recommendations and other information or support as may be necessary to apply or recommend changes in District policy.
- Develop engineering procedures and analysis methods.
- Support and provide recommendations for District engineering software and systems. May include but is not limited to software evalution, software selection, administrator duties, system maintenance, and user support.
- Prepare specifications for materials and construction standards.
- Analyze system events, troubleshoot problems, investigate root cause and develop corrective action plans.
- Assist other engineering personnel in the establishment, maintenance and use of the District engineering records.
- Work with customers to resolve problems associated with quality of electric service.
- Assist the Operations business unit in development of maintenance and construction procedures.
- Develop construction standards and guidelines.
- Coordinate efforts of and consult with architects and consulting engineering firms.
- Have responsibility for projects which may vary from routine to large or complex.
- May perform all engineering, procurement and construction management steps from design through final acceptance of completed work for District projects.
- Evaluate materials and equipment.
- Perform the engineering functions required for procurement of materials, equipment and contractor services. This may include, but is not limited to, specification and bid document preparation, evaluation of bids and contract administration.
- Check the work of other engineering personnel for technical accuracy, conformance to District policy, conformance to local/state/federal codes & laws, conformance to established construction and drafting practices and feasibility of construction and maintenance.
- Performs task as assigned to help the Engineering business unit meet District goals and expectations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal and customer service skills to courteously deal with and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other District employees, outside vendors and the general public.
- Ability to work in multi-task work environment, with constant interruptions and distractions while maintaining and meeting strict deadlines for projects.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational and analytical skills required.
- Ability to take initiative and be self-motivated in order to make independent decisions using sound judgment.
- Ability to gain a working knowledge and proficency of all software and systems utilized by the District’s Engineering business unit.
- Requires conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly in a professional business-like manner, both orally and in writing. Must understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of restricted or private information and records and effectively handle sensitive matters.
- May require work hours in excess of 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
- Must wear proper apparel for assigned working conditions in accordance with the District’s dress code policy.
- May require some travel (20%).
- Observe and abide by all District policies, goals and objectives.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for 50% of the time with up to 4 hours of consecutive computer work.
- Must be able to exchange phone conversations with office background noise.
- Must be able to position self to move up to 30 lbs.
- Must be capable of driving vehicles safely in all road conditions.
- Physically able to traverse moderate terrain in all weather conditions.
- Required to have a mobile phone to assure accessibility for emergency call out.
- Must be able to pass post offer background check.
- Must have a valid Driver’s license.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Its intent is to be a general guide of the duties and tasks we may ask you to perform as part of your employment with us. It is by no means an exhaustive list of all of your duties or responsibilities with us. Job descriptions are dynamic living documents that change, as business needs change. We may elect to clarify, change or even add to this job description and your list of assigned duties in the future. We operate as a team and from time to time, you may be required to complete other related duties as assigned. Be able to perform all tasks asked or assigned of you is an important part of being a team member and a key expectation for your position.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with five (5) years experience working in engineering. An equivalent of education and experience may be qualifying.
- A current Professional Engineer’s License is preferred.
How to Apply:
Cowlitz PUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. This recruitment will remain open until Friday, May 12, 2017. To apply for this position you must complete the District’s application, which can be found at www.cowlitzpud.org, and provide a cover letter, resume and answers to the supplemental questions. Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Posting End Date: May 12, 2017