Company Name: Portland General Electric
Phone Number: (503) 464-7250
Job Title: Electrical Engineer I – Distribution
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: August 26, 2016
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Distribution Engineer I
This position will be located either in Salem or the
Portland Service Center
Perform the functions of an entry-level Distribution Engineer by providing engineering solutions to problems using sound engineering principles, theories and concepts with supervision. Provide engineering expertise for Distribution Engineering capital and maintenance activities within assigned area of responsibility. Recommend improvements associated with design and construction of overhead and underground distribution facilities, standards, operations, materials, and new technology. Support design, operation, and maintenance of facilities with emphasis on high reliability and quality of service. Support field operations, customer account management, outage restoration and system planning, and key stakeholder groups. Perform all duties and represent the Company legally and ethically.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Field Operations (45%)
- Monitor and analyze system performance with the goal to improve quality and reliability of service.
- Prepare for and help manage system outages. Analyze, prioritize, and help direct restoration efforts with emphasis on key customers/services. Review outage reports daily for accuracy.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of tools, materials, techniques, codes, regulations, and company procedures, programs and work practices.
- Provide technical expertise in distribution design, code interpretation, and standards to resolve operational, maintenance, and engineering problems on PGE’s distribution system.
- Assist design specialists, engineers and others within the company relating to distribution facilities. Work with line crews to solve problems found in the field. Serve as a primary technical resource for others in the area of Distribution Engineering.
- Assist other engineers to conduct technical studies and report findings and recommendations.
Capital Projects (25%)
- Propose, design and manage construction of cost-effective improvements, and maintain distribution facilities in assigned area. Assist in providing management viable alternative solutions to problems.
- Propose and design projects needed for expansion of the distribution system to add capacity and operational flexibility. Ensure designs meet technical and regulatory requirements. Approve job designs within area of responsibility. Assist in ensuring projects are completed on time and within budget.
- As assigned, support field issues regarding scheduling, material acquisition, budgets and customer/government relations.
- Typically a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering is preferred
- Typically zero to two years’ of related experience experience.
- Basic knowledge of fundamental engineering/economic principles and concepts.
- Basic knowledge of concepts and systems related to distribution.
- Effective in reviewing, evaluating and analyzing semi-complex technical information, policies, and reports.
- Basic understanding of the utility business
- Basic knowledge of applicable policies, rules, regulations, and codes in a specific engineering field.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proficient project management skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient interpersonal skills.
- Proficient group presentation skills.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Valid driver’s license.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the deadline:
If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 503-464-7250.
Interested in the extras? PGE offers a range of competitive benefits including medical insurance, paid vacation, a company matching gift program, tuition reimbursement and retirement savings that includes a 401(k) plan with matching company contributions and a PGE stock purchase plan. Additionally, PGE provides robust on-the-job development and training opportunities, as well as incentives for meeting company goals and encouraging health, safety and community volunteerism.
Posting End Date: September 12, 2016