Company Name: City of Ukiah Electric Utility Department
Phone Number: (707) 467-5726
Job Title: Electric Utility Technician I or II
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Substation
Posting Start Date: March 31, 2016
Salary Per: Per Month
Work Time Type: Hours
Under general supervision, performs work in the installation, testing, maintenance, calibration, repair and modification of electrical and electronic equipment related to the City’s receiving and distribution substations and electronic metering systems.
Electric Utility Technician I — Positions in this class typically have a good foundation in electricity with little or no directly related utility work experience and work under immediate supervision while learning job tasks. This class is distinguished from the II level by the performance of less than the full range of duties assigned to the II level, progressing to general supervision as procedures and processes of assigned area of responsibility are learned.
Electric Utility Technician II — This is the full journey level class in the Electric Utility Technician series and is distinguished from level I by the ability to perform the full range of duties assigned with only occasional instruction or assistance as usual or unique situations arise. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed.
- Perform maintenance, troubleshoot, and repair work on a variety of electrical and electromechanical and electronic meters and substations.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand operations, and observe safety rules; intermittently analyze problem equipment; identify and locate equipment; interpret work orders; remember equipment location; and explain jobs to others.
- Intermittently sit while studying or preparing reports; bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist when installing, repairing, and servicing equipment; perform simple and power grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 40 pounds or less.
- Understand and interpret written and oral instructions, electrical drawings, schematics, plans, and wiring diagrams.
- Maintain and repair city SCADA system.
- Install and maintain city communication systems.
- Install and analyze electrical recording devices.
- Use and care for tools and equipment used in maintaining and repairing electrical and electronic devices.
- Work safely under emergency, hazardous conditions, and high voltage environments.
- Assist others in municipal electrical and electronic maintenance and repair duties.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Troubleshoot and repair a wide variety of electrical and electronic equipment and devices.
- Interpret data from voltage and current recordings.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for maintenance and testing.
- Level I: One year experience in the maintenance, repair and testing of high voltage control and power equipment.
- Level II: Two years of experience in the maintenance, repair and testing of high voltage control and power equipment.
- Basic electrical theory.
- Principles of electrical control and power systems.
- Tools, methods, and materials used in electrical work.
- Metering and substation protection.
- Computer hardware and software.
- Safe work practices.
- Computer controlled test equipment.
- Lockout/tagout of low and high voltage and stored energy systems.
- Complex principles of electrical and electronic repair, maintenance, and system design.
- Principles, materials, installation methods, testing, maintenance and equipment operation used in distribution systems.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Possession of a valid Class C California Driver license.
- All members of the Electric Unit shall be expected, within six months of hire, to establish residence allowing response to the Electric Shop within 35 minutes of notification to report.
How to Apply:
Applications are available at the City of Ukiah, 300 Seminary Avenue, Ukiah, CA, (707) 463-6272 or they may be downloaded at www.cityofukiah.com/jobs. Applications must be filled out completely and received by the Human Resources Department at 5:00 p.m. on the final filing date. Applications will be reviewed by a screening committee and those applicants who appear to be among the best qualified will be selected for the examination process. This process may include a variety of techniques designed to test applicants’ knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties and responsibilities of the job. An Eligibility list will be established by ranking candidates by their overall score and a selection will be made from the candidates on this list. All employment offers are subject to a City-paid physical examination and a thorough reference and background check.
Posting End Date: April 30, 2016