This exempt non-union professional position is responsible for supervising several Engineering Department staff in their completion of capital civil and electrical construction work, services and special projects. Specific activities include, but are not limited to managing complex design, construction, operation, and maintenance engineering activities and analysis. The position reports to the Engineering Manager, or designee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This is a supervisory position. This position may also be required to oversee the department in the absence of the Engineering Manager. Direct reports will be as assigned. Incumbent will perform employee performance evaluations, make suggestions and recommendations as to the hiring, firing, advancement and promotion of staff.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Supervises and provides technical leadership to the Distribution Designers and Engineering Technician positions by:
1.1. Ensuring all distribution design activities for compliance with PLC construction and design standards.
1.2. Ensures that design, construction, operations, and maintenance activities are in compliance with applicable codes, National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and regulations.
1.3. Assigning tasks to Distribution Designers and Engineering Technicians
1.4. Conducts performance reviews for Distribution Designers and Engineering Technicians
1.5. Identifying and implementing industry best practices and technology advancements to reduce operational costs and improve process efficiencies.
2. Coordinating the development of engineering standards for construction and materials and provides a leadership role during standards committee meetings.
3. Directs Peninsula distribution construction program by:
3.1. Participating in long range electrical system plans and recommendations for the annual budget process.
3.2. Developing and monitoring capital improvement, engineering and contract labor budgets.
4. Promotes department teamwork and open communication for continuous process improvement.
5. Supports 24-hour emergency operations as required to maintain operational reliability targets.
6. Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Thorough knowledge of distribution design principles, practices and concepts applicable to the electric utility industry.
• Thorough knowledge of engineering distribution systems, including mechanical stress calculations and electrical loading, application of engineering specifications and materials utilization.
• Ability to operate computer, calculator and related engineering office equipment to effectively complete engineering studies, projects, analysis, and design.
• Ability to use software, such as AutoCAD, databases, spreadsheets, engineering analysis and related systems to effectively direct design activities and manage projects.
• Ability to read and understand policy and procedure manuals, construction specification handbooks and safety manuals. Thorough understanding of safety regulations and emergency procedures.
• Ability to understand complex legal property descriptions.
• Ability to effectively plan, coordinate and complete significant distribution projects.
• Ability to supervise, provide leadership and training to assigned personnel.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co workers, supervisors, customers, and the general public.
• Ability to work outdoors, occasionally encountering inclement weather conditions.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is performed in both office and outside field environment. Individual will be subjected to all weather conditions and may be occasionally scheduled to be available for weekend work. This position requires frequent driving and field inspections of electric utility systems and facilities in a service area of about 100 square miles. Work site visitations will involve maneuvering through rough, uneven terrain in all types of seasonal conditions.