Company Name: Tacoma Power
Phone Number: (253) 591-5400
Job Title: Cushman Hydro Complex Manager, Assistant
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Management
Posting Start Date: August 17, 2017
Salary: $107,452.80 - $137,758.40
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time Type: Hours
Tacoma Power’s Generation Section is seeking an experienced power plant operations and maintenance professional. This position is based near Shelton, Washington.
As the Cushman Hydro Complex Assistant Manager, you will assist in leading over 20 hydro project staff to safely and efficiently operate and maintain powerhouses, dams, reservoirs, fisheries, lands and all other related facilities in a safe, environmentally-responsible, reliable and cost-effective manner while complying with all federal, state and local regulatory requirements. Your role is to empower and support your staff by equipping them with the tools, equipment and training needed to meet goals, maintenance schedules, and budget expectations through sound resource planning and provision.
Tacoma Power is a municipally-owned electric utility serving approximately 170,000 customers across a service area of 180 square miles and is considered one of three key operating divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities. “Community Value First” is our strategic principle and we consider our decisions and prioritize resources and programs based on the impact to our communities and rate payers. Tacoma Power employs approximately 850 employees, more than 200 of which are in the Generation Section. The Cushman Hydro Project includes roughly 140 MW of power generation, two dams, two fish hatcheries, fish collection facilities and wildlife lands. This position also provides administrative and maintenance support for the Wynoochee River Project, a remote site near Montesano, WA.
- Develop and implement safe and effective maintenance and operations policies
- Prepare daily work assignments for staff
- Responsible for emergency operations
- Provide first response to trouble calls related to the operations of the unstaffed automated power plants, dams, switchyard, transmission and distribution lines associated with the project
- Responsible for project safety program and required training.
- Implement and adhere to federal license requirements for river flow and project operations
- Coordinate maintenance and outage schedules with Power Management
- Purchase materials and supplies for maintenance and construction activities
- Oversee and coordinate the operation, maintenance and expansion of project recreation facilities so that Tacoma Power can maintain safe and clean recreational facilities for the public
- Monitor, interpret, and implement state and federal guidelines, rules and regulations as they pertain to parks and recreation
- Maintain the Cushman Hatcheries in compliance with the FERC license and settlement agreement
- Required to live on site in company-provided housing and be available for emergency call outs 24/7 including weekends and holidays. Call responsibility will be shared between the manager and assistant managers
- Office and outdoor work environment
- Outdoor activities include inspection of project facilities and dams, monitoring work activities of Project staff, other Tacoma Power staff, contract maintenance crews and construction projects
- May be required to work extended hours during equipment or weather related incidents including natural phenomenon such as earthquakes, floods, volcanic eruptions, etc.
- Graduation from high school
- Courses in electrical and mechanical theory and application
- 5+ years experience in power plant operation and maintenance
- Supervisory experience and training
How to Apply:
Applications are accepted online at www.cityoftacoma.org.jobs
Required to live on site in company-provided housing. Required to be available for emergency call outs 24/7 including weekends and holidays in a rotation with others. May be required to work extended hours during equipment or weather related incidents.
Interested individuals should apply online and attach a detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position. Applicants whose backgrounds most closely reflect the current needs of the department may be invited to participate in multiple interviews. Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.
About the Cushman Project
This is a remote hydroelectric project operated by the City of Tacoma. The Cushman Hydro Project Office is located along Highway 101 near the town of Hoodsport, WA. The local school districts are the Hood Canal and Shelton Districts. Project housing is available as part of the benefit package. The approx. 2000 sq. ft. home comes equipped with a two-car attached garage.
Posting End Date: September 7, 2017