The Controller position is responsible for assisting the Corporate Services department in creating accurate and timely financial records in compliance with RUS and GAAP, and in accordance with internal policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions (Reason position exists is to perform these functions)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Accounting Services 50%
- Responsible for reconciling general ledger accounts.
- Prepares, records and posts journal entries to the general ledger.
- Process month-end and year-end accounting cycle closings.
- Verifies proper internal controls, monitors accounts for proper accounting practice in entries and procedures, and extraordinary changes.
- Reconciles all bank and investment accounts on a monthly basis.
- Assists the accounting team in assuring compliance with general accepted accounting principles and procedures.
- Responsible to review plant standard costs at least on an annual basis.
- Responsible for reasonable record unit classifications within our work order system.
- Responsible to review member work order binding estimate costs for reasonableness on a monthly basis.
- Reviews overhead rates for reasonableness on a monthly basis.
- Responsible to utilize effective cost accounting and pricing measures and oversee an effective work order process.
- Participate with inventory process.
- Assist with daily, monthly and yearly balancing of Capital Accounts.
Assist the CFO 35%
- Assists CFO in preparation of monthly financial “standard reporting package” for board meetings and as otherwise requested. Compile financial and statistical reports and distribute them as required.
- Assist CFO in preparation of the annual audit. Compiles information and prepares spreadsheets to assist CFO and independent auditors. Acts as a financial resource for all departments.
- Assists CFO in the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Provides reports to internal and external entities as required.
- Identifies finance/accounting-related problems and makes recommendations to CFO.
FEMA Procurement 5%
- Secures FEMA funding related to storm damage and pre-mitigation projects.
Committee Participation 5%
- Member of the Technology and Standards Committee.
Backup Duties 5%
- Serves as a backup to Purchasing Agent, Disbursement Accountant, Accounts Receivable Coordinator, Assistant Accountant, and CFO.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Financial Management.
- Technical Capacity.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Time Management.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required, which would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and typical work hours are Monday through Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Coos-Curry Electric Cooperative operates on a four/ten work schedule.
Ability to travel to the different district offices required. Occasional travel to training seminars and/or conferences.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field preferred. Relevant experience may substitute education requirements.
- Minimum ten years of related professional experience required.
- Rural electric cooperative experience preferred.
- Valid Oregon driver’s license and insurability.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Strong MS Office Suite skills.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP.
- Reliable transportation for getting to work.
- Must be free from illegal drugs; may be subject to random and /or suspicion testing.
The specific statements reflected in each section of this position description are not intended to be all-inclusive, but rather the basic elements and criteria considered being necessary in order to satisfactorily perform the duties associated with the position.
Coos-Curry Electric Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please inform Human Resources at 541-332-8835 if you require an accommodation in order to participate in the application process.