Company Name: Golden Valley Electric Association
Phone Number: (907) 452-1151
Job Title: Controller
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Finance and Accounting
Posting Start Date: July 27, 2017
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
To ensure issuance of financial and regulatory reporting that state fairly the financial position of GVEA and its subsidiaries in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards (GAS), USDA Rural Utilities Service (RUS), US Department of Energy (DOE), and Regulatory Commission of Alaska (RCA) procedures and policies. To provide guidance and to manage, direct, and implement financial and statistical information and forecasting to internal management, external auditors and consultants.
- Manage and direct people to accomplish financial accounting and corporate goals and objectives. Prepare and provide feedback on performance appraisals.
- Manage and direct activity scheduling and allocate accounting resources to meet various deadlines.
- Ensure that the monthly processing of the general ledger is completed timely and accurately; perform analytical procedures to test for reasonableness.
- Ensure that monthly standard billings, contract billings, and construction billings are recorded in a timely manner and that proper accounting treatment is utilized.
- Monitor, analyze, and review various overhead clearing accounts to ensure proper allocation; update methodology as required.
- Provide accounting direction and training to staff as needed.
- Manage and ensure that capital projects, fixed assets, inventories, equipment management and related subsidiary systems are properly accounted for and stated correctly on the financial statements.
- Ensure that construction projects are accounted for according to the RUS policies and procedures and that proper financing documents are in place.
- Monitor and review accounts payable and payroll including tax reporting; provide guidance as necessary.
- Perform analytical review procedures and ensure reporting is in compliance with GAAP and RUS Review the monthly and annual Form 7 including supplementary internal financials and statistical information.
- Perform analytical review procedures and ensure reporting is in compliance with GAAP and RUS guidelines.
- Review the monthly internal and oversee preparation of the annual audited pipeline financial statements with supporting note disclosures
- Review various regulatory annual and provide assistance and direction to accountants in the preparation process.Review the quarterly cost of power adjustment (COPA) computation and associated tariff sheets that are filed with the Regulatory Commission of Alaska (RCA).
- Review the COPA model to forecast current and future conditions and provide responses to RCA’s questions concerning the COPA components.
- Support senior management in the development of pipeline tariff updates and review the filing for accuracy and reasonableness.
- Oversee preparation of the annual audited consolidated financial statements and participate in the preparation of the accompanying note disclosures and ensure reporting is in compliance with GAAP, GAS, and RUS guidelines.
- Review and approve work papers prepared by accounting staff to assist auditors with field work.
- Coordinate various audit engagements.
- Provide information on transactions and accounting conventions to external auditors.
- Ensure that proper analysis, test work, and feedback on financial and statistical data for software conversions and/or implementations are prepared.
- Review data compiled for annual customer patronage and assignment percentages for accuracy timeliness.
- Review the quarterly Management Information System – Key Ratios report (MIS) for the Board and management (this is a five year graphical presentation of statistical and financial information compared to present financial condition).
- Make recommendations for adjustments as necessary.
- Prepare analytical review procedures on the Balance Sheet and Operating Statement to ensure the fair presentation of financial information sufficient to meet the needs of external auditors and inquiries from regulatory agencies.
- Compile, provide guidance, and review reports in response to request for research and analysis of statistical and financial data from management, consultants, and legal counsel.
- Prepare accounting’s annual budget.
- Review general corporate financial data and pipeline budget data prepared by accountants to be utilized in the company-wide budget.
- Participate in software conversions and/or upgrades for the financial system and its supporting application modules.
- Assist with the development of customized reporting.
- Ensure controls and accounting processes are intact.
- Participate with senior management, consultants, and tariff counsel in the RUS Simplified Rate File process (SRF).
- Oversee the preparation of SRF schedules and compilation of supporting documentation.
- Ensure the filing is submitted to RCA timely and is in compliance with SRF regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Master’s degree in Business or relevant field preferred.
- CPA required.
- CMA certification preferred.
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in the accounting profession.
- Experience with enterprise software systems with multiple modules (general ledger, purchasing, payroll, accounts payable, fixed assets, projects, etc.) and non integrated satellite systems (electronic customer information system and work order management system).
- Minimum of two years’ experience with Corporate or non-profit tax preparation preferred.
How to Apply:
Applicants must complete a Golden Valley Electric Association Employment Application. Resumes alone will not be considered.
Posting End Date: August 24, 2017