Website Consumers Power Inc.
Working independently and collaboratively with others, this position plays an integral role in executing CPI’s mission, philosophy, and commitment to providing safe, reliable electricity to our members and exceptional service to our internal and external customers. All employees are also expected to maintain a high level of trust, integrity and ethical standards.
This is a bargaining unit position (IBEW Local 659). The Journeyman Lineman performs overhead and underground electric line construction and maintenance of equipment under the direction of a Line Foreman. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, driving trucks, operating equipment, loading and unloading material, climbing poles, and working from aerial man-lift devices.
Essential Functions of the Position:
The essential functions of this position require prioritizing and completing all assigned tasks in a timely and efficient manner, adjusting for changing priorities and availability of resources, and demonstrating initiative in identifying additional job-related tasks to be completed when time permits.
1. Installs, operates and maintains overhead and underground facilities according to CPI standards, Oregon OSHA, and the NESC.
2. Uses electric line construction equipment to include, but not limited to, stringing equipment, backhoes, derrick diggers, material handlers and trucks.
3. Efficiently and safely performs line work on a pole or in a bucket truck.
4. Troubleshoots electric transmission, distribution and customer service problems.
5. Performs electrical “hot” work.
6. Possesses and displays a working knowledge of work rules and safety practices.
7. Responds with sound judgement to unusual and hazardous circumstances.
8. Maintains responsibility for verifying the condition of all vehicles, equipment and tools provided for use in the performance of work.
9. Represents CPI in a manner conducive to good public relations.
10. Communicate in a professional, respectful and courteous manner with all employees, the Board of Directors, customers and others with whom we may work. Contribute to a successful work group through positive interactions, active listening, meaningful collaborations, and the constructive exchange of ideas designed to meet or exceed the organization’s strategic goals.
11. Complete special projects and other duties as assigned to meet team, department and organizational goals while actively demonstrating accountability and responsibility for achieving desired outcomes and measurable results.
Qualified candidates for this position will have relevant education and experience necessary to perform the essential functions and meet the minimum performance expectations for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED
- Journeyman lineman
- Valid CDL driver’s license with Class A endorsement
Preferred Education and Experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of electrical industry; project management; construction techniques and terminology; overhead and underground construction standards as well as Oregon OSHA and NESC requirements.
- Ability to make simple arithmetic calculations such as calculating figures and amounts related to electrical loads, system capacity, utility construction, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills necessary to communicate clearly and effectively with internal and external customers, vendors, contractors, and other diverse audiences while providing outstanding customer service.
- Strong technical, trouble-shooting, problem solving, research, organizational and analytical skills, combined with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet established deadlines. Ability to multitask is also essential while remaining flexible with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Well-reasoned decision making with a high attention to detail regarding organization, planning, work flow, and project prioritization to ensure tasks are completed efficiently and accurately.
- Highly ethical, self-motivated individual with ability to work independently and/or with limited direction, as well as cooperatively in a team environment, while consistently demonstrating collaborative, respectful and productive work habits.
Availability, Physical Demands, and Other Requirements:
Availability and Accessibility
Due to the nature and scope of the essential functions, the importance of personal interactions with coworkers and members of the public, and the availability of job-related tools, equipment and resources at work, performance of the essential functions requires regular, consistent availability, accessibility, and presence on-site.
Approximately 40 hours/week may be required to efficiently perform the job duties of this position, including presence at designated internal and external meetings. This position may also require availability and accessibility to respond to and address emergencies and critical situations outside of normal business operating hours in the evenings and/or during weekends.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Receive, understand, evaluate and appropriately respond to communications from employees, the Board of Directors, and members of the public using available technology, in person and in a public setting when necessary.
- Maintain professional and respectful communication style to ensure reactions and responses to both emergency and non-emergency situations serve as an example to others of appropriate workplace communications.
- Provide intellectually sound and well-reasoned answers, recommendations and solutions to identified business problems, issues and/or questions. Efficiently and quickly analyze, process, manipulate, and accurately record extensive amounts of data (some of which is technical in nature) and other information that serves as the basis for this position.
- Use a personal computer or other technology devices frequently and consistently for the purpose of reviewing, analyzing, creating, transmitting, and presenting documents, data and other business-related information
- Frequently lift, transport and/or move up to approximately 75 lbs. each day in the performance of regular duties and occasionally up to 100 lbs. Changes position frequently and works in awkward positions. Required to stand for extended periods of time, sit while driving and/or attending meetings, and walk on uneven ground in all types of terrain. Required to push, pull, twist, reach and use finger dexterity to grip/handle tools, equipment controls, etc. Climbs in and out of buckets of aerial man-lift with tool belt, materials and equipment. Work requires regular entering/exiting of vehicle. Occasional bending, stooping, kneeling, climbing and descending a stepladder may also be required.
- Drive on behalf of CPI and/or report for work in all types of weather.
The work environment conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. This position works primarily in the field and is exposed to all types of weather conditions including temperature extremes and rainy environments. Outdoor setting involves all types of property and site conditions, including open spaces, timberlands, urban developments, flat and hilly terrain, building construction sites, and road rights of way. Subject to outside weather/driving conditions.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. It is intended as a general guide of the job duties and tasks the person in this position may be asked to perform as part of our CPI team. It is by no means an exhaustive list of all of the job duties or responsibilities that may be assigned to this position. Position descriptions may occasionally be updated, as necessary, to reflect evolving business needs, and such changes may not be reflected immediately in written form.
Refusal or unwillingness to perform duties and tasks assigned in a positive, professional and productive manner, even if seeming to fall outside of this description, may be considered insubordination and a violation of CPI policies and expectations.
To apply for this job please visit www.cpi.coop.