This position functions as a manager of communications for external public relations, legislation and internal business communication strategy. Incumbent will advocate communications related programs and activities that facilitate accomplishments of PenLight’s strategic plan. Incumbent will develop policy recommendations, draft legislation, and strategy papers on legislative/regulatory matters. This position is responsible for change management, training staff and keeping employees informed of PenLight’s varied policies, programs and activities.
The incumbent will lead efforts with chambers of commerce, economic development councils, and other community organizations involved in legislative/regulatory matters. The incumbent will have dotted line reporting responsibility to the CEO. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change with or without notice.
This position may supervise staff as assigned.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Perform duties relating to communications with PenLight customers in the general public and internal staff including branding, messaging, and development and implementation of PenLight’s communication strategy. Incumbent will be responsible for training staff as it relates to communication as required.
• Serve as a primary spokesperson for media inquiries. Demonstrate highly proficient conflict resolution skills.
• Develop and manage the strategic planning for public outreach in media relations.
• Assist other PenLight personnel in the development, review, and release of various public announcements, press releases and public information campaigns.
• Responsible for planning and implementation of change management to include employee relations programs such as the wellness program/employee assistance program, service award programs, employee company events and customer appreciation events.
• Analyze communications and technology effectiveness and recommend improvements to existing services, equipment and operating systems; research, analyze, and evaluate new developments and expand existing programs/ services; and develop and recommend new programs and program modifications.
• Develop, implement, and monitor PenLight standards for internal and external written communications, ensuring that all communications meet PenLight’s protocol for image, consistency, accuracy, and quality.
• Represent PenLight at industry regional communication meetings and conferences. Maintain ties to utility industry counterparts.
• Manage PenLight survey activities.
• Research and gather information from other departments and write/edit PenLight’s member and employee newsletters and communications.
• Act as a designated public relations point of contact with various federal, state and local agencies and government bodies. Develop and maintain effective working relationships with public officials and industry representatives including Bonneville Power Administration.
• Review, write and monitor proposed legislation during each legislative session and subsequent rule making processes where PenLight operations may be affected.
• Participate as directed in events, committees, groups, forums, community meetings, trade associations, local service clubs, or other groups. Conduct special projects and analyses as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The incumbent will:
• Exhibit ability to interact diplomatically with PenLight staff’s varied backgrounds, areas of expertise and level of understanding of communication strategy-related practices, principles, risks and rewards.
• Exhibit the ability to speak and write English at high levels of proficiency. Demonstrate advanced interpersonal skills with people at all levels.
• Demonstrate integrity, sensitivity and confidentiality. The incumbent is frequently involved in strategic planning and routinely exposed to sensitive information regarding personnel, financial, legal and proprietary matters.
• Demonstrate a high level of proficiency in project planning, photography, knowledge of layout and design concepts, electronic communications, and video production.
• Think creatively and use initiative to accomplish tasks and implement projects. Use independent and discretionary judgment.
• Demonstrate cultural competency through respectful, inclusive work habits and through the valuing of cultural differences in all position responsibilities. Must demonstrate highly proficient conflict resolution skills.
• Understand and assimilate often complex and/or technical information and accurately convert its content and format into structures and styles suitable for public audiences.
• Use advanced personal computer word processing programs, presentation, graphics and publishing software, spreadsheets and databases. Advanced competency with graphic design, photo archiving software, digital cameras, and other A/V equipment as necessary to do the job.
• Use independent and discretionary judgment to analyze and solve problems.
• Quickly obtain an understanding of the inner workings and political nuances within the federal, state and local legislative/regulatory processes.
• Communicate persuasively on complex matters and coordinate complex matters involving many parties. Communicate effectively with a variety of internal and external members.
• Demonstrate knowledge of advanced principles and practices of public administration, projects and organizational management.
• Exhibit advanced organizational management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies, goals, strategic plans and operational needs.
• Use creative and innovative thinking to analyze, evaluate, develop, and market energy management and demand-management programs and services.
• Model leadership behaviors that promote open communication, teamwork, productivity and accountability with integrity by exemplifying appropriate behaviors.
WORKING CONDITIONS / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is performed in an office environment. This position requires considerable oral, written and verbal communication skills and deals with visually presented material.