Peninsula Light Company, a mutual co-op power utility, is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Communication Computer Network Technician. Under the direction of the Wire Department Foreman for a mutual cooperation power utility, perform skilled and technical duties in the installation, repair, maintenance and operation of a wide variety of computer equipment and devices related to communication and control systems in accordance with FCC and Industry standards. Work with Engineering to develop project plans and specifications. Pinpoint electrical problems and malfunctions. Operate a variety of specialized tools, radios and test equipment. Union, hourly position. $41.96/hr. PenLight offers a generous benefit package and retirement plans. Excellent community location in lovely Gig Harbor, WA.
This is a non-supervisory position.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
1. Install, repair, maintain and operate a variety of communications equipment and systems to industry standards. General classification of equipment including but not limited to the following:
- Two-way radio communications equipment: mobile radios, base stations, portables, paging controllers, pagers, mobile data, point-multipoint radios, control/dispatch consoles, cellular telephones and related equipment.
- Telecommunications systems: analog and digital equipment, modems, video, outside plant cable, station wiring, analog/digital interfaces and related equipment
- Substation Equipment: analog and digital communication with substation control equipment and AMR equipment.
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems: master stations, communication processors, remote terminal units, remote control equipment telemetering, intelligent electronic device (IED), FEP, interfacing equipment and related equipment.
- Data Networks: field hardware and interconnects, LANS- WAN, servers, computers, printers, premise wiring, fiber optic links, substation processing units (SPU).
- Distribution Control Systems: recloser controls, regulator and LTC controls, capacitor switching controls.
- Telephone System: Digital PBX, digital keysets and analog stations. Maintain programming of PBX. Maintain and install on premise wiring as needed. Interact with local phone company (CenturyTel) and vendors as needed.
- Miscellaneous: radio/television power line interference, infrared surveys, security alarm and video systems, audio sound systems.
- Use standard or specialized tools and test equipment to measure and adjust communication equipment to ensure proper operation, including adjustments to level, frequency, timing, phase or band width.
- Installation and maintenance of metallic and fiber optic cable including outside plant, terminations, testing, fault locating and protection equipment.
- Installation, maintenance, and optimization of 900 MHZ MAS radio system and low band communications system.
- Design and construction of control circuits and panels, calibration circuits, test fixtures, timing and indication circuits.
- Communicate with personnel to coordinate such activities as sharing tools or equipment, scheduling system outages, performing end-to-end system tests, analyzing equipment performance problems and to implement repairs as needed.
- Determine appropriate methods of repair, maintenance and installation to minimize damage to equipment potential for personal injury or revenue loss due to equipment down time.
- Operate a variety of lift trucks.
- Program a variety of proprietary or open systems based computer equipment to configure, modify or test microprocessor based communications or control equipment.
- Operation of personal computer including use of industry standard applications used for the preparation of reports and the maintenance of databases related to inventories, repair and equipment maintenance records.
- Respond to emergency call-outs and perform duties as assigned.
- Perform bucket and vault rescue when necessary. Perform the ground portion of pole top rescue.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. General electronic theory.
2. Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations pertaining to applicable communications systems.
3. Circuit analysis, design and repair.
4. Electronic test equipment and other specialized devices used in the repair, installation and maintenance of communications and control systems.
5. Current technical aspects of communications and electronics fields.
6. Occupational hazards and safety regulations of the utilities trades.
7. Record-keeping techniques.
8. Methods, equipment and materials used in the service and installation of electronic equipment.
9. Computers, microprocessors and computer peripherals.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Interpret and apply related rules, codes, policies and procedures.
2. Install, maintain and repair a variety of communications and control equipment.
3. Read and interpret schematic, wiring and digital drawings.
4. Design and construct circuits and control panels.
5. Identify, isolate and repair electrical and/or electronic problems and equipment malfunctions.
6. Understand and follow oral and written directions.
7. Maintain records and prepare reports.
8. Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
9. Operate a variety of specialized equipment and tools.
10. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
11. Work at heights from antenna towers, platforms or trucks.
12. Observe adequate safety precautions against occupational hazards.
13. Work effectively as a team member and as an individual.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work includes being subject to both indoor and outdoor environments, driving from site to site to conduct work, enduring noise. May be subject to adverse weather conditions and extended working hours. Travel may be necessary. Position requires climbing and working in confined areas. Must be capable of moving up to 75 pounds. Employees in this position may be exposed to heights, fumes and potential electric shock. Individual may work alone without direct supervision for extended periods.