Company Name: PacifiCorp
Phone Number: (503) 813-7178
Job Title: Commercial Transmission Specialist (Mid or Senior Level)
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Finance and Accounting
Posting Start Date: February 6, 2017
Salary: $79,900 - $118,700
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time Type: Hours
Manage and optimize Company’s merchant transmission assets, analyze and negotiate the purchase of new merchant transmission rights, and provide guidance in the sale and remarketing of merchant transmission rights, consistent with the strategic direction of the Company. Manage network, point-to-point and legacy transmission agreements with transmission providers with the overall goal to reduce risk and enhance net power costs for customers.
Responsibilites of the Commercial Transmission Specialist:
- Strategically manage, analyze and optimize the company’s long-term merchant transmission portfolio to ensure adequate transmission for company generation, contracts and new transactions while reducing risk and net power costs for customers.
- Manage rights and obligations in existing network, point-to-point and legacy transmission agreement obligations with transmission providers, including but not limited to PacifiCorp and the Bonneville Power Administration.
- Originate terms and conditions in new transmission contracts and restructure existing transmission contracts to enhance deliverability, reduce risk and net power costs.
- Review proposed short and long term transactions for transmission deliverability.
- Analyze, develop, facilitate, and implement transmission service and/or balancing authority area (BAA) solutions for complex, multi-faceted projects involving multiple project areas and stakeholders.
- Develop and implement short-term transmission optimization strategies to reduce net power costs for customers.
- Work with transmission providers on issues relating to business practices, transmission service obligations/provisions, transmission outages, OASIS, and technical systems implementation.
- Compile, analyze, interpret, and summarize transmission, resource and related data, needed to produce and defend analytical studies and recommendations.
- Carry out short, medium and long-term monitoring and analysis of transmission system outages to ensure cost effective optimization.
- Utilize, maintain, and support trading and data collection platforms.
- Support company business platform tasks supporting Integrated Resource Planning, business plan updates, system balancing, and reliability standard compliance.
- Support General Rate Case filings fulfilling data request assignments responses via data collection, analysis, written responses and peer review.
- Engage and represent Company’s interest in regional transmission policy stakeholder processes (BPA, NWPP, CAISO, etc.).
- Develop relationships and communicate requirements with traders, schedulers, other utilities and transmission providers in order to enhance PacifiCorp’s ability to reliably and profitably serve our customer base.
- Work within Company policies, systems, evaluation and approval practices, procedures, WECC systems, CAISO scheduling, congestion management procedures and integration, standard transmission tariff rules and applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
In addition to the above, the responsibilities for the Senior Commerical Transmission Specialist are:
- Lead in strategically managing, analyzing and optimizing the company’s long-term merchant transmission portfolio to ensure adequate transmission for company generation, contracts and new transactions while reducing risk and net power costs for customers..
- Provide lead support for General Rate Case filings fulfilling data request assignments responses via data collection, analysis, written responses and peer review.
- Coach and train entry and mid-level merchant transmission personnel.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Mathematics, Finance or a related field; or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of three years’ experience in analysis, management, and the execution of merchant transmission rights, or related experience
- Previous work experience in hybrid roles that combine technical, economic, and policy aspects of transmission systems.
- Demonstrated capability to carry out complicated analysis combining multiple sources of data, inputs, and sensitivities.
- Understanding of transmission modeling and planning, financial modeling, risk assessment, and electricity trading and energy market conditions.
- Ability to work in a team environment with a strong ability to think independently and facilitate cooperation.
- Knowledge of company policies, procedures, and practices, and applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to develop industry contacts, establish relationships, influence others’ positions and negotiate outcomes.
- Proficient in using personal computers and Microsoft Excel.
- Position work hours are non-standard.
In addition to the above, the requirements of the Senior Commercial Transmission Specialist include the following:
- A minimum of six years’ experience in analysis, management, and the execution of merchant transmission rights, or related experience.
- Experience in trading merchant transmission physical and financial rights.
- Demonstrated understanding of Company, WECC and CAISO transmission systems and concepts of open access transmission service.
- Experience in electric utility system operations, wholesale power markets, power scheduling and transmission operations.
- Knowledge of CAISO markets, Energy Imbalance Market, and congestion revenue rights.
- Proficiency in software and automated tools/platforms used in transmission systems, transmission analysis and energy trading/scheduling including but not limited to OATi/MCG products, PowerWorld, programming (VBA, R, Python).
Posting End Date: March 7, 2017