Website City of Redding
Operations/Compliance Engineer: $10,299.00 – $13,390.00 per month
Electric Utility Engineer: $8,825.00 – $11,473.00 per month
The City of Redding Electric Utility (REU) is accepting applications for one new full-time position as either an Operations/Compliance Engineer or Electric Utility Engineer depending on qualifications.
This position performs specialized professional, technical, and analytical functions in a variety of operational areas including transmission and compliance to ensure that safe operation of transmission assets and compliance requirements are met. This position coordinates and evaluates day ahead and real time operation studies with balancing areas and adjacent transmission operators, provides operational directions to System Operators within legal and established policy constraints, and works to ensure the reliable operation of the transmission/distribution system for the REU Transmission Operations Area.
The City of Redding provides an excellent benefit package including health, dental, vision, life and long term disability insurance, paid time off and a CalPERS retirement program along with a great work environment.
We are looking for someone to:
- Participate in the assigned tasks of an operations team in order to meet defined operations goals and comply with schedule, quality, safety, and performance standards
- Support work activities with System Operators-T&D to meet established task objectives and deadlines by following established policies and procedures
- Ensure system reliability of assets and the control area, support and maintain system security and reliability, and provide operating instructions for the reliable delivery of power to the customer load
- Continually monitor and assess the adequacy of the bulk power system and other utilities’ transmission systems including balancing authority and reliability coordinator
- Assess line loadings, voltage levels and system stability under various operating conditions, system contingencies and planned clearances
- Conduct transmission system reliability studies and studies using power-now simulation
- Assess the level of planning and operating reserves to assure adequate compliance with NERC and WECC requirements; conduct and confirm transmission contingency analysis and power flow studies
- Provide inter-utility and intra-utility support and ensure the implementation of the Electric Utility’s strategic business objectives
- Provide support for transmission and distribution issues; prepare and maintain a current Standard Operating Procedure manual for system operations
- Support the development process for standard practices, procedures and guidelines for operating the bulk power system in compliance with interconnection agreements and reliability requirements; ensure assigned work activities successfully contribute to the overall completion of department projects;
- Coordination of Day-Ahead Load Flow, Voltage, and Contingency studies for the transmission and generating plant capabilities with the Balancing Authority, Reliability Coordinator as required for TOP compliance. Confirm Day-Ahead system limits and real time contingencies with other electric power systems and agencies
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and compliance processes related to Electric Utility System Operations – Transmission and Distribution and Engineering.
- Ensure all relevant SOP’s comply with NERC Transmission Owner, Transmission Planner, and Transmission Operation requirements. Review SOP’s and processes at the required periodicity and after every major revision; provide assistance to the Operations and Engineering team in preparation for internal and external NERC audits and performs other related duties as assigned.
Electric Utility Engineer
- Ensure adequate capacity and reliability of the electric system (transmission and distribution lines, substations) through development of load forecasts, expansion plans, load transfer schemes; system analysis.
- Develop, implement, administer, maintain and support technical systems used by the Electric Department personnel. Technical systems could include: energy accounting software, supervisory control and data acquisition systems (“SCADA”), distribution control and protection equipment, contingency analysis software, engineering software, inter-control center protocol communications equipment and software, etc. Incumbents may be engaged in the design, documentation, coding, testing and implementation of new or enhancements to existing application programs. Incumbents may be tasked to prepare user documentation and train personnel in the proper use of programs and equipment.
- Under guidance of a supervisor with responsible charge of the work, perform a variety of professional engineering activities related to the design, construction, maintenance, and operation of the facilities of the Redding Electric Utility.
- Assist in the design of new and/or modifications to existing utility facilities including analysis of power line structures, complex relay and control schemes, development of construction drawings and contract documents for equipment and construction, acquisition of permits, easements and property; coordination of joint projects with outside agencies; provide guidance for assigned draftsmen; coordinate work of consultants, outside agencies and other staff as required.
- Develop new, or improved engineering and electric utility standards where necessary; consult with field personnel, other electric utilities, manufacturers, and literature sources, such as the National Electric Code, ANSI standards, and G.O. 95.
- Inspect and monitor system equipment, including metering, capacitors, regulators, power circuit breakers, transformers and protective devices; and recommend needed system improvements. Ensure that system power factor, equipment loading, voltage, and protective device settings are within specified limits without creating operating problems within the electric system; recommend new equipment purchases when needed.
Qualifications we’re looking for:
- Knowledge of REU policies, procedures, and other special agreements
- Knowledge of principles and practices of economic analyses of projects and programs;
- Knowledge of principles and practices of program evaluation; principles and practices of various analytical approaches
- Knowledge of techniques and practices for resolving complex technical issues
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures related to power system operation, power system theory, thermal and hydroelectric generation and load management dispatch
- Knowledge of systems and concepts related to economic operation of a power system and planning and design techniques
- Knowledge of principles related to short circuit evaluations, generator unit efficiency and capability characteristic;
- Knowledge of WECC/NERC Reliability Standards and requirements;
- Knowledge of AC transmission systems;
- Knowledge of safety policies, practices and procedures;
- Knowledge of methods and techniques for report preparation and writing;
- Knowledge of operation of modern office equipment including a computer, scanners, and applicable software;
- Ability to serve as a technical resource on transmission and distribution issues;
- Ability to maintain system security and reliability and provide for the reliable and cost-effective delivery of power;
- Ability to participate in the development process for standard practices, procedures, and guidelines for operating the bulk power system;
- Ability to understand and apply applicable laws, codes and regulationsEducation,
Experience and Special Requirements:
- Typical education would include a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in electrical engineering.
- Typical experience would include three to five years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in power operations engineering or transmission system planning and load flow analysis.
- Professional registration in Electrical Engineering in the State of California, or in another state that has reciprocity with California, and must obtain California registration within one year of employment.
Electric Utility Engineer
- Knowledge of utility engineering, including short circuit, load flow, voltage drop, metering, substation design standards
- Knowledge of load forecasting, loss and economic evaluation
- Knowledge of power generation operations or maintenance
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance in air emissions, water quality, waste handling, hazardous materials handling, safety and health
- Knowledge of DOT pipeline or NERC reliability standards
- Knowledge of SCADA, energy accounting, distribution control systems, cyber security and secure IP routing, data communication systems administration and support
- Knowledge of underground and site design principles and standards
- Ability to evaluate and implement government regulations and industry standards
- Ability to troubleshoot a variety of technical problems in assigned field, this could include operational, maintenance, electrical systems, control systems, data communication networks, project management issues, etc
Education, Experience and Special Requirements:
- Documented completion of a state-recognized course of instruction for attaining specialized knowledge and skills providing the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying.
- Typical education would include a Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline from an accredited college, university, or equivalent.
- Typical experience would include three years relevant experience in distribution, operation, construction, power generation, regulatory compliance, environmental regulatory compliance, control systems administration and support, industrial process engineering, and/or project management.
- Possession of the appropriate valid California driver’s license or the ability to acquire one within ten days of appointment.
What to expect from the Application and Exam Process:
You will receive notifications pertaining to this recruitment at the e-mail address and text message number provided on your application. Email correspondence may go to your spam or junk mail folder.
Application Process: Interested individuals must submit a City of Redding online employment application by the closing date in order to be considered. This recruitment is open until filled and may close at any time and will establish an eligibility list that may be used to fill future vacancies.
Examination Process: An oral board interview will be administered.
Selection Process: Final appointment is contingent upon:
- Positive past employment references
- Passing a city paid fingerprint criminal conviction check
- Passing of a pre-employment medical exam and drug and alcohol screening test
Veteran’s Credit: Applicants who attach a copy of the DD-214 to their application indicating “Honorable Discharge” from military service and receive a passing score on the examination process will have two (2) additional points added to their final examination score.
The City of Redding adheres to Cal/OSHA COVID-19 requirements.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/FEDERAL AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.