Website City of Redding
$10,000 hiring bonus!
Learn more and apply at www.cityofredding.org/jobs by October 17, 2021
The City of Redding is seeking a highly qualified journey level person for a newly created full time Meter Technician (Certification Rate). Qualified candidates must have completed a five (5) year metering apprenticeship program.
Under general supervision, a journey-level Meter Technician functions in the City’s Electric Utility. This position performs testing, maintenance, repair and installation of the utility’s electric revenue and power quality metering equipment; installs current and voltage transformers with associated equipment and verifies the complete installation to assure accurate metering; understands various electric meters, their operation and methods and equipment used in their testing and repair of AC and DC circuits, applicable electrical codes, and must take precautions when working around energized equipment.
*The City of Redding is offering a $10,000 hiring bonus to the successful candidate. $5,000 will be paid upon hire and $5,000 will be paid upon successfully completing a 1 year probation period.
Examples of Duties:
- Repairs, rebuilds, installs, and wires all styles of electricity meters and metering equipment, including transformer rated meters, pulse relays, and recorders
- Performs shop and field tests; operates computers for shop work, field testing and interrogation of metering installations; builds and installs metering programs utilizing various metering software packages.
- Communicate and work with customers, contractors, other City employees and associated government agencies.
- Performs routine field checks of complex industrial meters to ensure proper operation; troubleshoots complex metering schemes.
- Determines types of meters and related material necessary to accurately record electrical energy consumption; receives and issues electric meters and related materials; maintains accurate inventory records; maintains electric meter and departmental instrument histories.
- Investigate power quality complaints; perform load surveys; make minor instrument repairs and calibrations; troubleshoot metering communication issues.
- Install, troubleshoot, repair, upgrade, test, and program telecommunications equipment associated with electric meters.
- Safely work with energized services up to 600 volts.
- Install, test, and provide data interpretation for voltage and current recordings, power quality analyzers, and energy recording at customer and City owned sites.
- Perform low and high voltage work on live circuits and related equipment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge of: Various electricity meters and metering software packages, their operation, and the methods and equipment used in their testing and repair; various Power Quality analyzers and associated software, their operation and methods of installation and data retrieval; knowledge of EUSERC standards; environmental and safety practices, local codes and regulations, procedures and standards. Utility operating, maintenance, and testing procedures; and electrical test equipment and standards of measurement, computer applications for utility testing and maintenance.
Ability to: Interact effectively with the public and employees; communicate effectively orally and in writing; demonstrate qualified electrical and electronics background including appropriate use of electrical test instruments, computers, and other measurement devices; perform minor electrical work efficiently and safely; operate small hand tools; operate vehicles, forklifts, bucket trucks and other related equipment; and perform work with skill, efficiency, and safety.
Education & Experience: Any combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying; typical education would include high school diploma, or equivalent, with additional course work in electricity, electronics, and electrician apprenticeship training. Typical experience would include completion of a formal Electric Meter Technician apprenticeship program or five years of relevant journey level experience.
Special Requirements: Possession of the appropriate California driver’s license, or the ability to acquire one within ten days of appointment. Completion of five (5) year metering apprenticeship program. Must be able to enter and work in confined spaces, participate in the Confined Space Program, and perform confined space rescue.
Application and Examination Process:
Application Process: Interested individuals must submit a City of Redding online employment application by the closing date in order to be considered. Meeting the announced requirements does not guarantee selection into the examination process. Applications will be reviewed to determine those best qualified to be tested.
Veterans Credit: Veterans who have received an honorable discharge from the military service and receive a passing score on the examination will have 2 points added to their final examination score. To obtain this credit, veterans MUST provide a copy of the DD214, indicating honorable discharge, with each employment application by the closing date.
Examination Process: An online written test and/or oral board will be administered.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/FEDERAL AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.