Website City of Redding
Learn more and apply at www.cityofredding.org/jobs by October 17, 2021
The City of Redding Electric Utility is seeking a highly qualified candidate for a full time Instrument & Electrical Technician vacancy in the Power Production group. This position performs maintenance and repair on all instruments, control systems, and electrical equipment in the power plant and associated facilities; and inspect, repair, test, adjust, install, and remove all electronic and power plant electrical, electronic and instrumentation systems and equipment.
A generous benefit package includes accrued paid leaves, holidays, health, dental, vision, long term disability, and life insurance along with a CALPERS retirement program and a retirement health insurance contribution.
Examples of Duties:
- Maintain all instrumentation, distributed control systems, programmable logic controllers and electrical equipment
- Inspect, repair, install and remove all types of motors, generators, transformers, switches, control equipment, wiring, electrical signal and communications systems and storage batteries
- Hook up and operate various test equipment such as oscilloscopes, transmitter calibrators, manometers, transistor checkers, meters, etc.
- Test and calibrate watt, VAR, volt and amp meters and transducers
- Troubleshoot and repair electrical circuits such as battery charges, inverters, solenoids, alarm circuits and associated circuitry
- Perform standard electrical tests (phasing, current, voltage, etc.) on rotating and static electrical equipment
- Inspect and repair turbine generator electrical equipment
- Tune electronic control systems
- Perform routine maintenance duties, including the collection of trending information for the Power Plant Maintenance Supervisor
- Monitor equipment performance to forecast possible failures
- Assist in the maintenance of plant operating and equipment manuals, technical manuals, prints and diagrams and preventive/predictive maintenance records
- Maintain complete equipment files, logs and drawings for all designated equipment
- Splice power and control cables
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge of: Principles, methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in the installation, operation, maintenance, and modification of electrical, electronic, mechanical, and hydraulic systems.
Ability to: Interact effectively with the public and employees; read and understand technical drawings, sketches, plans, specifications, and maintenance manuals; analyze complex relay operations; access and use computer systems; create moderately complex electrical wiring and schematic diagrams; analyze and interpret a wide variety of technical test data; perform calculations; operate a variety of generating and auxiliary equipment; organize technical data and complete appropriate reports and records; and perform shift work, overtime, or weekend work.
Education & Experience: Any combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying; typical education would include a high school diploma, or equivalent. Typical experience would include three years of journey-level utility grade generation system experience.
Special Requirements: Possession of a valid CA driver’s license, or the ability to acquire one within 10 days of appointment. Must be able to enter and work in confined spaces, participate in the Confined Space Program, and perform confined space rescue.
Application and Examination Process:
Application Process: Interested individuals must submit a City of Redding online employment application by the closing date in order to be considered.
Incomplete applications will not be processed. Meeting the announced requirements does not guarantee selection into the examination process. Applications will be reviewed to determine those best qualified to be tested.
Veterans Credit: Veterans who have received an honorable discharge from the military service and receive a passing score on the examination will have 2 points added to their final examination score. To obtain this credit, veterans MUST provide a copy of the DD214, indicating honorable discharge, WITH EACH EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION BY THE CLOSING DATE.
Examination Process: The examination process will consist of an online written examination (65% pass point, weighted 40%) and an oral board interview (70% pass point, weighted 60%). Applicants must pass all elements of examination in order to be placed on eligibility list.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/FEDERAL AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.