Website City of Redding
To learn more and apply, please visit www.cityofredding.org/jobs
The City of Redding is inviting applications for High Voltage Line Workers. Under direction, High Voltage Line Workers perform all classes of electrical power transmission and distribution system construction, maintenance and operation work. Three years line worker (post-apprenticeship) experience, successful completion of a certified rubber glove training program, and a CDL tank endorsement are desirable.
The City of Redding provides an excellent benefit package including health, dental, vision, life and long term disability insurance, paid time off, and a CalPERS retirement program, along with a great work environment.
We are looking for someone to:
- Remove and/or install power poles, towers, and other support structures
- Work on energized conductors using rubber glove and/or hot stick techniques
- Remove and/or install anchors, guy wires
- Install or replace cross arms and overhead conductor, etc.
- Install, repair, maintain, and/or splice primary and secondary underground conductors
- Set and remove electric meters
- Install, repair, replace, and/or remove street lights and make out appropriate reports
- Install, repair, replace, and/or remove both overhead and underground transformers, capacitor banks, switches, boxes, connectors, and other line apparatus
- Read work orders, switching orders, circuit maps, and note job changes on maps
- Drive and operate digger derricks, bucket trucks, fork lifts, pole dollies
- Operate wire pullers and other associated line equipment
- May be required to work alone patrolling and trouble shooting the City’s electrical system
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications we’re looking for:
- Knowledge of City safety rules
- Knowledge of California State general orders 95 and 128
- Knowledge of Cal OSHA safety regulations and high voltage safety orders
- Knowledge of hazards associated with working on or in proximity to energized high voltage conductors and devices
- Knowledge of distribution maps of the City electrical power system
- Knowledge of switches and switching procedures for safe performance of the assigned job.
- Ability to interact effectively with the public and employees
- Ability to apply appropriate and adequate safety procedures
- Ability to work at any height on steel or wood structures in fair or adverse weather conditions and climb up and down said structures
- Ability to read drawings, profiles, maps and charts
- Ability to and locate and repair problems in a safe, timely, and efficient manner.
Education, Experience and Special Requirements:
- Typical education would include a high school diploma, or equivalent, with two years of algebra, or equivalent, advanced coursework or training, and three years of City-approved apprenticeship training program.
- Typical experience would be the completion of a three year City-approved apprentice program. Minimum of three years line worker (post-apprenticeship) experience desirable.
- Possession of a California Class A commercial driver license, or the ability to acquire one within ten days of appointment.
- Successful completion of a certified rubber glove training program desirable.
Veteran’s Credit: Applicants who attach a copy of the DD-214 to their application indicating “Honorable Discharge” from military service and receive a passing score on the examination process will have two (2) additional points added to their final examination score.
The City of Redding adheres to Cal/OSHA COVID-19 requirements.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/FEDERAL AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYERAdditional Information:
Redding is a growing community in beautiful Northern California located at the base of the Cascades. We are surrounded by stunning mountain ranges, the Sacramento River, two National Parks, and world-class trails and parks. With an average commute of 10 minutes, an affordable housing market, and a family-friendly community, we take pride in making Redding an even better place to live, work and play.
- Mediterranean Climate with over 300 days of sun per year.
- Average commute time of 10 minutes
- Median home price is 375K
- $2,300 Average monthly rent for a 4-bedroom home
- Top ten fishing town in North America by Forbes
- Unofficial Capital of Kayaking by Time Magazine
- Redding is known as the Trail Capital of California
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.