Website City of Redding
The City of Redding Electric Utility is seeking to fill two full-time Electrical Engineering Supervisor vacancies :
- Electrical Engineering Supervisor (T&D Asset Management): The ideal candidate for this position will have experience in protection systems, substation construction/design, and utility distribution systems.
- Electrical Engineering Supervisor (Operations): The ideal candidate for this position will have experience in Utility Transmission System Operations, NERC compliance standards and processes, and Utility Distribution System Operations.
These positions provide supervision, leadership, and training for the engineering groups as outlined above as they perform duties including preparing master plans, utility engineering standards, contracts, budget proposals, feasibility studies, system modeling and analysis, transmission planning studies, distribution studies, protections studies, and other reports and activities. This position requires extensive electric utility industry expertise and excellent written communications skills including correspondence with other industry agencies.
The City of Redding provides an excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance, paid time off, and a CalPERS retirement program along with a great work environment. This position will receive a 1.5% increase July 2023.
If you are interested in pursuing this career opportunity, please review the interactive job bulletin to learn about the position and the community.
We are looking for someone to:
- Provide supervision, coaching, evaluation, and prioritize the training of assigned staff
- Lead in the development, enhancement, and implementation of job and program-specific training materials for the Engineering group.
- Provide supervision of the implementation and administration of various engineering-related projects, contracts, and other appropriate documents that pertain to transmission and distribution system design, construction, maintenance, and operation.
- Provide supervision of the implementation and administration for applicable compliance-related activities assigned to the engineering team, ensuring timely and accurate data as a Standard Owner (SO) or Subject Matter Expert (SME) for assigned standards per “NERC and WECC Reliability Compliance Program Procedures.”
- Assist in preparation of the utility’s budget and capital improvement plans
- Provide supervision of the implementation and administration of assigned contracts, designs, standards, and system studies related to Transmission and Distribution Design, construction, maintenance, and operations.
- As directed by the Electric Manager – Engineering, respond to inquiries and questions regarding load-projection, projects, stability, system modeling, annexations, claims, substation maintenance, metering & power quality issues, and system planning.
- Provide reports and data to the Electric Manager – Engineering as required in support of the Division/Department, including project/program status reports, project/program schedules and dashboards, written reports and memos, Staff Reports to the council and other forms of communication.
- Procure, draft and manage various Electric Department consulting contracts. Provide technical support for Electric Department construction contracts for substation, power generation, transmission, distribution, and general engineering projects.
- Supervise, review, and approve complex system modeling and analysis to support the Operations staff in the development of near-term operations plans, outage requests and contingency studies. Provide data to other agencies using the appropriate software tools (e.g., GE Load Flow, Aspen Oneliner, HANA Study, Milsoft, and ETAP).
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications we’re looking for:
- Knowledge of Electric Utility engineering practices
- Knowledge of power system planning (generation, transmission and distribution),
- Knowledge of design of electrical power facilities (power plants, transmission lines, substations, distribution lines and power projects)
- Knowledge of system protective relaying and control, power systems analysis and modeling
- Knowledge of NERC regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of utility agreements and contracts
- Knowledge of rate and load analysis
- Knowledge of Electric Utility operating and maintenance practices and procedures
Working knowledge of safety practices in substations
- Knowledge of codes and standards: NEC, NESC, GO 95, GO 128, ANSI, IEEE, ASTM, NEMA, Title 8 (OSHA)
- Knowledge of principles and practices of supervision
- Knowledge of personal computers and their electric utility application
- Knowledge of project management
- Knowledge of budgeting/project tracking
- Ability to Interact effectively with the public and employees
- Ability to Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to demonstrate highly developed skills in electric utility organization and supervision operations
- Ability to demonstrate highly developed analytical and technical skills in electric utility engineering and analysis
- Ability to provide recommendations for department activities and projects
Education, Experience and Special Requirements:
- Any combination of training and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying; typical education would include a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college, university or equivalent.
- Typical experience would include five years relevant electric utility engineering experience. Experience should include power systems planning, system modeling, transmission and distribution design, utility system operation, maintenance practices, and supervision.
- Professional registration in Electrical Engineering in the State of California or in another state that has reciprocity with California, and must obtain California registration within one year of employment.
- Possession of the appropriate California driver’s license, or the ability to acquire one within ten days of appointment.
What to expect from the Application and Exam Process:
You will receive notifications pertaining to this recruitment at the e-mail address and text message number provided on your application. Email correspondence may go to your spam and junk mail folders.
An oral board interview will be administered. This recruitment will establish an eligibility list and may be used to fill future vacancies.
Selection Process: Final appointment is contingent upon:
- Positive past employment references
- Review of a driver history record (depending on position)
- Passing a city paid fingerprint criminal conviction check (applicants 18 and older)
- Passing of a pre-employment medical exam and drug and alcohol screening test (depending on position)
Veteran’s Credit: Applicants who attach a copy of the DD-214 to their application indicating “Honorable Discharge” from military service and receive a passing score on the examination process will have two (2) additional points added to their final examination score.
The City of Redding adheres to Cal/OSHA COVID-19 requirements.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/FEDERAL AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.