Website City of Redding
Welcome to Redding Electric Utility!
At REU, we believe successful teams follow the “Humble, Hungry, and Smart” motto. As an organization, being “Humble” means valuing all our employees’ contributions as we find the best ways to serve our community. Being “Hungry” means providing the best service possible and challenging ourselves to go above and beyond every day as we work to meet and exceed our goals. The ability to collaborate and adapt to the needs of our teams and community is a “Smart” way to garner results that positively impact our city. If you embrace these core values, you are encouraged to apply for a rewarding career with REU.
Our mission is simple: to improve public safety and provide reliable, cost-effective services for the people and businesses in Redding, California. Our employees are vital to our success as a publicly-owned utility in this mission.
We value the diverse range of skills and talents it takes to deliver excellent service to our community. We invest in and empower our employees through our commitment to continued professional development opportunities in a supportive and collaborative environment.
Please consider one of the great career opportunities available at REU!
- EU Distribution Planner/System Inspector I $85,668 – $120,540
- EU Distribution Planner/System Inspector II $94,764 – $133,344
Electric Utility Distribution Planner / System Inspector I
- Conduct field engineering for the purpose of designing new and/or upgrading existing underground and overhead electric distribution and transmission facilities.
- Assist in the pre-inspection of job locations for existing facilities, i.e. existing vaults, boxes, conduits and conductors to ensure design does not conflict with existing facilities.
- Examine plans and specifications prepared by other departments, agencies, and consultants; advise, design and coordinate with the general public, City officials, customers, contractors, consultants and architects on matters relating to relocations and new or additional electric loads and advise them of the City’s Electric Service Policy, applicable City codes, and applicable utility standards.
- Assist in designing distribution system improvements to provide service, maintain the continuity of service and the overall integrity of the distribution system. Design distribution circuit protection external to substations.
Electric Utility Distribution Planner / System Inspector II
- Design new and modify existing overhead and underground electric distribution and transmission facilities; determine the effect of proposed work on existing electric utility facilities and the feasibility of alternate construction proposals.
- Coordinate and prepare electrical equipment specifications for contractor bid and prepare the applicable bid documents for contract work. Upon contract award, administer the construction contract and inspect the construction contract pay items prior to approving final payments.
- Develop and prepare Electric Department transmission and distribution standards. Research, evaluate and recommend new distribution products for possible system use.
- Coordinate and prepare joint facility agreements with other utilities. Obtain any necessary permits, easements, and right-of-way for electric transmission and distribution.
- Design electrical distribution facilities to serve subdivisions, apartment complexes, mobile home parks, commercial buildings, and public facilities.
- Represent the City of Redding Electric Department in pre-construction meetings for each project involving contractors, developers and other utilities.
- Electrical theory, principles, and practices relating to electric distribution and transmission engineering.
- Land use requirements for obtaining permits and rights of way.
- Overhead and underground transmission and distribution construction standards, techniques, methods, equipment, and material.
- Utility policies and practices.
- California PUC General Orders 95 and 128, the National Electric Code, the California Electrical Code and EUSERC Standards.
- Interact effectively with the public and employees.
- Learn and comprehend strategies for transmission and distribution facilities in regards to installations, voltage performance, loading of system components, system operating procedures, system protection, system capacity, and energy losses.
- Read and interpret electrical, mechanical and civil engineering drawings related to municipal and private electric systems.
- Operate personal computers and utilize computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- Investigate the impact of additional power requirements on the system and the costs for added construction or its modification to accommodate new requirements.
Education, Experience, and Special Requirements:
Any combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying.
- Typical education would include an Associate of Arts degree from an accredited college, university, or equivalent with appropriate technical course work.
- Typical experience would include five years relevant experience in the electrical utility transmission and/or distribution field. Relevant experience in electric utility projects or system inspections is highly desirable.
- Possession of a valid California drivers’ license, or the ability to acquire one within ten days of appointment.
You will receive notifications pertaining to this recruitment at the e-mail address and text message number provided on your application. Email correspondence may go to your spam or junk mail folder.
Examination Process: A written exam, oral board interview, and AutoCAD assessment will be administered.
Selection Process: Final appointment is contingent upon:
- Positive past employment references
- Passing a city paid fingerprint criminal check (applicants 18 and older)
- Passing of a pre-employment medical exam and drug and alcohol screening test
Veteran's Credit: Applicants who attach a copy of the DD-214 to their application indicating "Honorable Discharge" from military service and receive a passing score on the examination process will have two (2) additional points added to their final examination score.
The City of Redding adheres to to Cal/OSHA COVID-19 requirements.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/FEDERAL AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit secure.neogov.com.