Purpose of Position: The Chief Engineer is responsible for engineering processes and procedures required by the Cooperative, including long and short range engineering studies, financial plans (including construction budgets), system planning, design, and construction according to applicable standards.
1. Develops short and long range plans for system replacement and growth.
2. Prepares Long Range plans, Construction Work Plan, Power Requirements Study, Environmental Report and assists in preparation of loan documents.
3. Recommends construction standards.
4. Develops/utilizes procedures to analyze key system statistics; voltage drop, line losses, power factor, cost of service studies etc.
5. Recommends system changes that will improve the quality of electric service; minimize voltage fluctuations and service interruptions.
6. Recommends system changes that will minimize the cost of purchased power; line losses, facility charges, maximize diversity, etc.
7. Prepares clearing, consultant and construction contracts.
8. Develops detailed designs for electric infrastructure improvements including electric substations, transmission lines, etc.
9. Gains and maintains a thorough knowledge with respect to policies, procedures, state and federal regulations, rate schedules, national and state safety and electrical codes, and other similar matters relating to assigned duties and interprets this information to others.
10. Develops and monitors the plant capital budget.
11. Develops annual work plan.
12. Acts within the delegated authority as Engineering Manager in his absence.
13. Leadership duties: Engineering personnel as assigned.
14. Coordinates and cooperates with all KEC personnel, the membership, local city, county, and state personnel, other utilities, contractors and vendors as needed.
15. Performs other duties as directed or required.
16. Keeps others informed. Reports and written communication are clear, timely and relevant. Clear, correct verbal communication. Good listener tries to understand others. Effective in communicating with varied groups or individuals.
17. Enthusiastic team worker, helps others, promotes harmony among fellow workers, team members, supervisors and customers. Responds well to suggestions and criticism. Adapts easily to change, reacts well to additional or different assignments. Actions consistent with objectives and goals of the team and the Cooperative.
18. Assures compliance with the NESC and appropriate regulations and standards.
19. Provides generation scheduling when needed. Tracks, analyzes and adjusts generation as needed