Website Chelan Public Utility District
Direct and supervise the activities of the Central Maintenance Hydro Mechanics in accordance with the objectives and policies of the District. The incumbent is responsible for achieving efficient and economical construction and maintenance of the District Generation facilities, fish facilities and the distribution systems substations and switchyards; provides maintenance and construction support to the District’s other departments and additional external customers as required.
JOB FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job satisfactorily. Indicate Essential functions are those activities that, if not performed, would significantly and fundamentally alter the position.
% of Time Job Functions
1. 40% Direct and supervise the activities of the Central Maintenance Hydro Mechanics to ensure that assigned work is completed in a safe, cost effective, and productive manner. Provide counseling, coaching, and development opportunities, and evaluate work performance in accordance with established procedures and written expectations.
2. 20% Plan, schedule, and coordinate the CM department’s mechanical maintenance and capital projects for Central Maintenance customers, including Hydro generating facilities at Chelan, Rocky Reach, Stehekin and Rock Island, switchyards, Distribution Substations, the District’s six communication sites, the fisheries’ six hatchery facilities and for additional internal and external customers.
3. 30% Visit all assigned projects and crew sites; inspect work and discuss project status, estimates vs. actuals, resource allocation and project requirements with the assigned Foreman. Participate in other departmental meetings concerning mechanical/electrical projects, personnel issues, etc.
4. 5% Develop and administer Central Maintenance mechanical budgets for the different Central Maintenance customer projects listed above. Approve and review all purchases for electrical equipment, tools and spare parts as requested by the Mechanics.
5. 5% Ensure the development of required equipment and materials standards, develop and administer work procedures for the District’s electrical and mechanical equipment, and ensure that the maintenance work histories are completed. Ensure that prints, manufacturer’s manuals and other documents are complete and appropriately filed. Act as duty supervisor and handle after hours’ emergencies as required.
6. Ongoing Drive a motorized vehicle while conducting business on behalf of the District.
7. Ongoing Maintain regular and predictable attendance. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required. Comply with District policies. Complete all required training. Maintain a working knowledge and comply with District safety procedures and specific safety requirements of this position, and those in accordance with applicable provisions of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
Directly supervises approximately (25) employees in the CM Mechanical Dept. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS: The qualifications listed below are representative of those required, but reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Journey-level certification or bachelor’s degree (B. S., B. A.) from a college or university in Engineering, Business Administration or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Typically requires a minimum of five (5) years’ skilled trade, professional, and/or supervisory work experience in power plant operations, maintenance and/or engineering. Candidates with power plant mechanical maintenance experience are strongly preferred. Candidates with two (2) or more years of successful supervisory experience are preferred. Candidates demonstrating initiative in leadership roles such as a planner, project leader, temporary superintendent, foreman, shop steward, or safety representative are desired.
Specific KSA’s: A fully skilled incumbent will have the following specific knowledge, skills, and abilities: Knowledge:
• Extensive knowledge of the mechanical aspects of District Hydro, Transmission, and other related systems
• Broad knowledge of the electrical utility industry
• In depth knowledge of applicable safety policies and standards
• General knowledge of hydro operations regulatory requirements
• Working knowledge of the Collective Bargaining Agreement
• Planning & scheduling principles
• Proficiency with computers
• Strong writing skills
• Strong verbal communication skills
• Problem solving
• Decision making skills
• Analytical skills
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of management and staff
• Ability to elicit cooperation and support from others, and coordinate the work and efforts of others (team building).
• Ability to use analytical skills to evaluate complex issues quickly and effectively.
• Able to grant autonomy and trust
• Able to be a strong advocate for their direct reports
• Able to hold employees accountable as needed
• Able to recognize accomplishments and thank employees
• Able to be consistent, objective, and equitable
• Able to be open and approachable
• Able to be responsive and follow-up
• Able to make expectations clear
• Able to be flexible and resilient
• Able to solve problems, take action, take ownership
• Able to demonstrate empathy and care
Must be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
Computers & Equipment: A fully skilled incumbent will have the ability to utilize the following software, hardware, or equipment:
To perform this job successfully, an individual is required to have knowledge of PeopleSoft Timekeeping/HR; Microsoft Outlook; Microsoft Excel; Microsoft Word; Primavera; Maximo Order Processing; General Office Equipment i.e., computer, fax machine, phone, printer; and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; perform repetitive hand or arm motion; and talk, hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl or twist torso; pull, push, or exert force; and taste, smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds above shoulder height unassisted. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; in confined spaces; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outdoor weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock. The noise level is usually moderately loud.
To apply for this job please visit erecruit.chelanpud.org.