Website Chelan County PUD
LIVE, WORK AND PLAY!
Chelan County PUD is located in the geographical center of Washington State at the confluence of the Columbia and Wenatchee rivers. A public power leader, the complex and progressive nature of PUD operations offer a unique mix of challenges and opportunities.
We rely on the mighty Columbia River for much of our hydropower generation and we’re proud to take a leadership role in environmental stewardship as related to this great river system. Each year we dedicate millions of dollars and thousands of work hours to protect and enhance fish, wildlife and plant ecosystems. As part of hydropower operations, we’ve also built 14 parks that serve more than 3 million visitors each year.
Rated by Forbes in 2017 and 2019 as one of the top 25 places to retire, Wenatchee is a recreational paradise with an abundance of adventure. The natural scenic beauty of the Wenatchee Valley provides a vivid backdrop to its thriving economy, where the quality of life is high and the climate is moderate with four distinct seasons, including more than 200 days of sunshine!
We are a small town to some and big city to others. We invest in our children and believe that education is the key to our future success.
We live a life of abundant choices and enjoy water sports on the Wenatchee and Columbia rivers, hiking, biking, rock climbing and unlimited golfing. Downhill and cross-country skiing are just minutes away. The area is also known for producing quality wines.
Consider Chelan PUD as a career choice today! The community is waiting for you.
Chelan PUD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce. M/F/Vet/Disabled
Applicants are required to submit a combined cover letter and resume in one document. Please provide a cover letter in which you describe your experience in power trading, marketing, origination, and/or environmental commodities. Incomplete materials will not be considered.
To expedite the application process, combine your cover letter and resume into one PDF or WORD document before applying and upload electronically when requested in the online application process.
This position is OPEN UNTIL FILLED and applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
Interested parties are also invited to contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the position.
In addition to a competitive starting salary range of $98,080-$122,600 (individual contributor) to $113,100-$150,800 (program manager) based on qualifications, skills and abilities, Chelan PUD employees also enjoy outstanding benefits which include the option of a zero cost medical plan (medical, dental and vision for all eligible dependents), short and long-term disability, Washington State Public Employee’s Retirement System, Deferred Compensation (with company matching funds up to 5%), 11 holidays and initial personal leave accrual at 21 days per year.
Introductory Period: New employees holding regular positions must complete an introductory period of twelve months.
This position will be filled at either the individual contributor level or program manager level, contingent upon the selected candidate’s experience and knowledge, skills, and abilities.
JOB PURPOSE: The Power & Environmental Commodities Originator is responsible for optimizing and managing the District’s specialized environmental energy portfolio, a component of the overall District energy trading portfolio. This includes the development and implementation of the District’s environmental hedging strategy, establishing and developing relationships with key potential counterparties and stakeholders in the environmental/energy marketplace, conducting sales calls and participating in cross functional groups to promote District’s environmental objectives and goals, performing analyses, and modeling and providing transactional and risk management support.
The Program Manager, Power & Environmental Commodities Origination coordinates and manages strategic marketing campaigns for the District’s surplus power supply. Key responsibilities include establishing and developing relationships with energy marketplace key contacts, conducting sales calls, developing pricing strategies/ structures, negotiating contracts, analyzing market trends, implementing marketing strategies, and ensuring energy decisions and pricing are aligned with the District’s strategic goals and financial policies.
Power & Environmental Commodities Originator
% of Time Job Functions
1. 40% Environmental Portfolio Management & Compliance: Optimize value of environmental portfolio while monitoring compliance with renewable targets and internal environmental policies. Performs hydro optimization analyses and modeling to determine incremental hydropower and provides supporting documentation to ensure eligibility under various renewable programs and standards. Monitors compliance with environmental program rules and regulations. Evaluates and analyzes regulatory developments and impacts on environmental portfolio and adapts portfolio management as needed. Provides environmental market expertise within the District to support strategic goals and regulatory objectives.
2. 35% Environmental Origination, Structuring, & Trading: Executes environmental power hedging strategy. Structures specialized transactions to meet District objectives. Originates and executes transactions in accordance with the District’s risk management and credit policies. Performs pricing analysis. Establishes and develops contacts and relationships with existing and potential counterparties/customers. Conducts sales calls and visits with new and existing counterparties. Represents the District’s interests and goals at industry meetings and work groups.
3. 15% Risk Management & Transaction Support: Coordinates and assists in drafting transaction documents for environmental deals. Prepares supporting documentation to obtain timely approval of transactions. Develops, coordinates, tracks, and monitors environmental portfolio risks. Collaborates with middle and back office to provide additional operational support for environmental transactions. Leads and/or participates in internal discussions and cross functional teams to further develop and improve the environmental portfolio/trading.
4. 10% Energy Trading Support: Performs backup energy trading as needed. Executes purchase and sale transactions to maximize revenue and meet load within the constraints of the system.
5. Ongoing: Maintain regular and predictable attendance: Perform related duties and responsibilities as required. Comply with District policies. Complete all required training. Maintain a working knowledge and comply with District safety procedures and specific safety requirements of this position, and those in accordance with applicable provisions of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC) and risk management support.
Program Manager, Power & Environmental Commodities Origination
% of Time Job Functions
1. 35% Manages environmental origination, structuring, & trading: Develops and executes environmental trading strategy. Structures, negotiates, and executes specialized transactions in accordance with District’s risk management and credit policies. Serves as primary contact for key wholesale customer contracts.
2. 25% Develops and maintains marketing relationships: Responsible for conducting sales calls and visits, providing necessary information to prospective counterparties, soliciting input on process and product desires from prospective counterparties, and working with legal and finance to optimize the number and value of potential counterparties.
3. 15% Oversees environmental portfolio management & compliance: Develops and manages District’s compliance strategy in alignment with District’s overall environmental trading strategy. Ensures District meets its renewable compliance target and any other carbon or clean energy regulations.
4. 10% Regional Issues and Regulations: Technical lead on regional issues and regulations that impact the District’s trading and marketing activities.
5. 10% Strategy & Optimization: Coordinates on forward trading strategy development and optimization. Ensures appropriate consideration of environmental trading strategy and alignment to District strategic goals.
6. 5% Advises on real-time and pre-schedule planning and trading activities to ensure consistency and optimization with short and long-term goals.
7. Ongoing: Maintain regular and predictable attendance. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required. Complete all required training. Maintain a working knowledge and comply with District safety procedures and specific safety requirements of this position, and those in accordance with applicable provisions of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: The Program Manager, Power & Environmental Commodities Origination may directly supervise one (1) non-supervisory employee in the Energy Planning and Trading Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS: The qualifications listed below are representative of those required, but reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Post-Secondary Education: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Engineering, Finance, Business, or Economics, or a related field (B. S., B. A.) from a four-year college or university; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Power & Environmental Commodities Originator : Typically requires a minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience, including experience in power operations, planning, energy marketing, and/or environmental markets. Experience with general hydro power operations is preferred. Environmental commodity compliance experience desired.
Program Manager, Power and Environmental Commodities Origination: Typically requires a minimum of seven (7) years directly related experience including three (3) years of power marketing/origination. Candidates with established potential client relationships are preferred. Experience with general hydro power operations is preferred. Environmental commodity compliance experience desired.
Specific KSA’s: A fully skilled incumbent will have the following specific knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Broad knowledge of environmental regulations/markets, energy markets, power operations, and hydro project coordination
• Understanding of finance, marketing, and contract administration activities, including risk management and credit policies
• Knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations relating to the power industry
Program Manager, Power and Environmental Commodities Origination Additional Knowledge
• Requires knowledge of power industry contracts and commercial terminology.
Skills & Abilities:
• Requires exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to follow dictated rules and protocols as determined by industry norms, state, or federal regulatory bodies.
• Advanced analytical skills.
• Advanced negotiation skills.
• Requires advanced marketing and sales skills.
• Ability to demonstrate initiative.
• Ability to work independently and with a team
• Ability to develop and sustain relationships with other WECC counterparties including utilities and energy marketers
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. This should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
Chelan PUD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer (EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled). We value diversity at all levels of the organization. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any protected classifications as defined by law.
EEO Law Posters can be found on the main Careers page in English and Spanish.
Chelan PUD will not be offering any work visa sponsorship for this role.
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
To apply for this job please visit www.chelanpud.org.