Website Chelan County PUD
Install, repair, maintain and adjust electrical equipment at the generating facilities, transmission switchyards, substations and related equipment and facilities.
JOB FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job satisfactorily.
1. Install, repair, maintain, test and adjust all prime mover controls, generators, auxiliary apparatus, switchgear and other electrical equipment at the generating facilities, transmission switchyards, substations and related equipment and facilities. This includes all circuits and associated apparatus, but excludes meters, relays and certain communication devices.
2. Drive a motorized vehicle while conducting business on behalf of the District.
3. Maintain regular and predictable attendance. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required. Comply with District policies. Complete all required training. Maintain a working knowledge and comply with District safety procedures and specific safety requirements of this position, and those in accordance with applicable provisions of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
Although journeyman do not typically supervise, they will be responsible for training and demonstrating work skills and safe working practices to apprentices and trainees. Journey level workers are occasionally required to lead and direct the crew in the absence of a foreman.
QUALIFICATIONS: The qualifications listed below are representative of those required, but reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
No higher-level education required.
Requires completion of an electrical apprenticeship or a minimum of three years’ experience in the industrial or commercial electrical field. Qualified candidates will be able to demonstrate applicable working experience performing electrical equipment installation, repair and maintenance. Experience working with high voltage 3-phase equipment and/or in a hydro plant environment is preferred. Candidates with experience operating cranes and forklifts are also preferred.
Specific KSA’s: A fully skilled incumbent will have the following specific knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Must have technical ability and be knowledgeable of safe work practices.
• Must be familiar with and adhere to the District’s Dispatching and Operating Safety Rules.
• Candidates with the ability to obtain within six months a Commercial Driver’s license Class A, with valid medical card, airbrake restriction removed and tanker endorsement are preferred.
• Must possess or obtain within six months from hire date, First Aid and CPR certifications.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Candidates must be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Prioritizes and performs a broad range of moderately complex technical or professional work. Solves day to day problems using established policies, regulations, or work rules.
Works independently, under limited supervision. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. Trains and mentor’s others. May act as a team leader. Advises management on best work methods, processes and/or application of policy. Receives guidance in complex situations.
Computers & Equipment: A fully skilled incumbent will have the ability to utilize the following software, hardware, or equipment:
To perform this job successfully, an individual is required to have knowledge of Microsoft Outlook; Maximo Order Processing; Maximo Asset Management; General Office Equipment such as printers; Power Equipment such as shop tools, power drives, hydraulic conduit benders, and saws; and Electrical Test Equipment such as fluke, ductor, megger, amp meter and travel analyzer. Incumbents are required to operate a fork lift, scissor lift, bucket truck and raised platform lift.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, or twist torso; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to pull, push, or exert force. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and seldom lift up to 75 pounds. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds above shoulder height unassisted, occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds above shoulder height; and seldom lift and or move up to 75 pounds above shoulder height, with or without mechanical devices. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to risk of electrical shock. The employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; and in confined spaces; fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work in high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; outdoor weather conditions; and extreme heat (non-weather). The noise level is usually loud.
SAFETY SENSITIVE DESIGNATION: Safety sensitive positions are subject to pre-employment drug testing. Positions are designated as “safety sensitive” if an essential function of the job involves certain duties. This position is designated as safety sensitive for the following reasons:
• Drives or operates motorized vehicles
• Works with or near rotating or heavy equipment, power machines or tools
• Works on or near high voltage distribution or transmission lines or equipment
• Duties directly affect public/employee safety
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: An employee may not be hired or transferred to a job, or continue in a job if currently employed, if they do not satisfy the following job requirements. These District requirements cannot be waived by supervisors.
A valid driver’s license is required at hire. A valid Washington State driver’s license is required within 30 days of employment.
Pursuant to the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) standards, Chelan County Public Utility District #1 conducts background screening of personnel who have access to the District’s critical physical and/or cyber assets.
To apply for this job please visit www.chelanpud.org.