Website Canby Utility
Canby Utility, a municipal electric and water utility, is looking to hire a Journeyman Lineman to join our team. This position works under the direction of the Operations Field Supervisor and guidance of the Working Foreman to perform work related to the construction, maintenance, and repair of overhead and underground electric distribution system and related equipment. This position is classified as a full-time, non-exempt position with no supervisory responsibilities.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains and repairs cable, conduit, vaults, enclosures, and transformers.
- Performs switching, locating, hi-potting and testing, fault finding, exposing, splicing, and terminating of URD cables.
- Operates man-lifts, digger derrick, Backhoe, dump trucks, wire pullers, air compressors, and other utility vehicles, power tools, and hand tools associated with the electric line trade.
- Loads, unloads, frames and sets or removes poles. Installs or removes lightning arresters, terminators, cutouts, transformers, capacitors, reclosers, sectionalizers, regulators, and/or other protective devices. Transfers, installs, and removes conductor guys and risers, street lights, and other equipment used in the construction, maintenance, and repair of overhead distribution lines.
- Operates and installs switches, tags, and grounds on distribution circuits and loads.
- Locates trouble in primary and secondary lines or cables and repairs to restore service.
- Disconnects and reconnects utility services for service orders, and obtains meter re-reads as requested by the customer service department.
- Cleans, stocks, and loads vehicles. Inspects vehicles and equipment and performs minor repair and maintenance, or request follow-up repair work.
- Performs pole top, bucket, and vault rescue when necessary and in training exercises.
- Performs tree trimming on, or near, energized lines or equipment as needed.
- Operates, installs, removes, and maintains equipment as required. Installs and removes meters and CT’s and PT’s as required.
- Performs duties before/after normal working hours, on weekends and/or holidays as emergencies arise, or assigned for emergency response.
- Performs warehouse and inventory duties on occasion as needed and operate a forklift.
Must be schooled in the fundamentals of electricity required in line construction and maintenance and property apply the tools and equipment of the trade.
Knowledge of substations, protective systems, and distribution systems for residential, commercial, and industrial customers.
Knowledge of practices, methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in the electrical trade (including overhead and underground systems).
Knowledge of electrical theory and principles related to power transmission and distribution systems and ability to read and interpret system maps, work sketches, and diagrams.
Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, regulations, Oregon OSHA 1910.269, policies, and procedures, as well as the utility’s line construction and maintenance standards; Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions for this type of work.
Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and to maintain interpersonal skills including tact, patience, and courtesy with fellow employees.
The ability to courteously and effectively deal with customer complaints, service questions, or problems is necessary
A high school diploma or G.E.D. is required, plus the successful completion of an approved journeyman lineman apprenticeship program, including course work in electricity, mathematics, and mechanical fundamentals pertaining to line and substation construction. In addition to a Journeyman Lineman Certificate, the individual must possess a valid Oregon Class-A commercial driver’s license, CPR certification, flagging, forklift certification, and first aid cards. Must be willing to be available and responsive to emergency call-outs and reside within a 60 minute response time to the office.
Canby Utility offers an excellent benefits package, including 6% employee portion paid into Oregon PERS/Public Service Retirement Plan (OPSRP), 95% medical, dental, and vision premiums paid for employee and family, employer contributions into a VEBA account, life insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, and 401k and 457 deferred compensation plans. This position is represented by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers union (IBEW Local 125).
For more information or to obtain an application by mail, email or fax, call 503-266-1156. Canby Utility is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com