Company Name: City of Tacoma
Phone Number: (253) 591-5400
Job Title: Business & Financial Management Supervisor
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Management
Posting Start Date: December 13, 2017
Salary: $96,928.00 - $124,259.20
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Tacoma Power is a municipally owned electric utility serving approximately 170,000 customers across a service area of 180 square miles, and is considered one of three key operating divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities, the others being Tacoma Water and Tacoma Rail. “Community Value First” is our strategic principle and we consider our decisions and prioritize resources and programs based on the impact to our communities and rate payers. Tacoma Power employs approximately 850 employees, 350 of which are in the Transmission and Distribution Section.
Tacoma Power, Transmission and Distribution, is seeking to fill a position in the Business & Financial Management Group. This position supervises and provides work coordination and technical assistance to an assigned group of employees responsible for a variety of areas supporting T&D’s delivery of services including, but not limited to, contract management, financial stewardship, and organizational performance.
This position requires a high performing, critically thinking, analytical, and experienced self-starter with excellent leadership skills, written and oral communication skills, customer service skills, and the ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Transmission and Distribution (T&D) culture values safety, communication, accountability, professionalism, integrity, and respect.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates the day to day activities of personnel in the Business & Financial Management group. Maintains a supportive, positive, and engaged work environment with all levels of the organization.
- Leads, plans, manage, and monitors T&D’s Operation & Maintenance biennium budget. Serves as the budget primary point of contact with other workgroups.
- Establishes a business performance measurement system. Tracks and report on key performance indicators. Utilizes and supports Total Quality concepts and methodologies.
- Oversees the billing and tracking damage of Tacoma Power assets damaged by outside parties, administration of mobile device program, and external billing activities.
- Oversees the development, execution, and administration of materials and services agreements in support of T&D’s operational needs.
- Leads the pole attachment/joint use contract administration and associated permitting processes.
- Supports Plant Maintenance Order (Work Orders) maintenance by providing general order administration and resolving errors and issues.
- Performs as the Finance Chief on T&D’s Emergency Response Plan.
- Minimum three years of experience in financial processes, interpreting contract language, analyzing data, and reporting, including KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators)
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, public or business management, economics, or engineering preferred, and two years analytical, database, spreadsheet and/or financial experience
- Electric utility experience and knowledge of electric utility equipment strongly desired.
- Ability to collaborate in cross-functional work teams in the development and implementation of efficiencies
- The successful candidate must work well in a collaborative team environment, have exceptional analytical and decision making skills, the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization, ability to lead staff, and demonstrate a strong work ethic. Knowledge of SAP budget functions, work order utilization, and business functions and facilitation skills are highly desired
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
Actively takes steps to build cohesive and a results-oriented team. Establishes collaborative interoffice and interagency relationships. Facilitate a work environment for safe communication and interaction that encourages others to express their ideas. Motivate others to perform at peak levels and foster team building among all.
Act decisively and make timely decisions while seeking information from others and encouraging diverse opinions in order to improve the quality of decision making. Accept responsibility for personal decisions and their consequences while evaluating situations and options when considering financial and operational impacts.
Establish internal and external customer interface to increase satisfaction with products and services offered by the organization. Search out ways to enhance customer satisfaction by improving efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery. Emphasize team approach to providing exceptional customer service.
Clearly and effectively communicates with individuals and groups within and outside of the organization. Effectively present ideas in formal and informal situations. Constructively listen to others in order to accurately convey their ideas. Interact respectfully and sensitively with individuals and groups to develop and maintain productive relationships and achieve results.
Professionally conducts all assignments in a timely manner, work with confidentiality and discretion. Work effectively through complex policies, processes, and organizational dynamics. Use a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply online and attach a resume and cover letter to include major responsibilities and accomplishments relevant to this position. Applicants who have the strongest backgrounds related to the responsibilities of this position may be invited to participate in an interview. Successful candidates must successfully pass a background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
Posting End Date: December 28, 2017