Website Bonneville Power Administration
Internal Number: 23-BPA-34632-11934934-DH
To begin the application process in USAJOBS, click link:
This position is located with Bonneville Power Administration (BPA), in the Transmission Field Services (TF) organization within the Transmission Services (T) business line of BPA.
A successful candidate in the Lineman position will perform work under the supervision of a Lineman Foreman. The degree of supervision will depend upon tasks performed and working conditions.
- Perform construction and maintenance work (including hot line maintenance) on either wood pole or steel tower lines including excavations and footings, framing and erecting towers and poles, hanging insulators and hardware, and stringing, sagging, and clipping conductor.
- Replace or repair damaged steel towers, wood poles, crossarms, and conductors; relocate towers and poles; inspect and treat wood poles; and replace insulators.
- Perform, or occasionally supervise, right-of-way maintenance work such as brush and weed control, cutting or topping danger trees, seeding cover crops for erosion control.
- Repair access roads and install or repair bridges, culverts, fences, and gates.
- Maintain microwave towers, antennas, and airway lighting installations; perform maintenance tasks in substations, involving overhead line work and other tasks requiring the use of line maintenance equipment.
- Patrol transmission lines and report conditions of lines.
- Take clearances and occasionally perform switching at unattended substations and line sectionalizing disconnect switches.
- Complete associated paperwork and complete reports required of the above listed tasks.
When the Lineman is performing hot line work, supervision will be direct and detailed. When the work situation does not involve hot line work, emergencies, or conditions of similar scope, the Lineman will complete tasks under more general supervision. Work is performed in compliance with government regulations, BPA safety rules, and the BPA-CPTC Collective Agreement. This is a union position.
Many vacancies in the following locations:
Idaho Falls, ID
Grand Coulee, WA
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- This position does not support remote work. You will be required to report physically to the official reporting worksite as specified by the supervisor, but no less than 2 days per pay period.
- Establish a residence in accordance with negotiated requirements, that is within one hour or less commuting time under normal weather and road conditions, to the duty station headquarters.
- Extended periods of travel may be required.
- If exposed to health hazards, have periodic physical examinations as prescribed by competent medical authority at BPA expense. (Employees will work in close proximity to substances such as solvents, PCB's, chemicals, etc., which may have effects on health unless prescribed handling procedures are followed.)
- Become familiar with and follow the safety practices of the BPA Accident Prevention Manual.
- Possess valid First Aid Card, CPR Card, and an electrical worker's permit or obtain within 30 days after appointment.
Possess valid commercial driver's license (CDL) with all endorsements that are required to operate TLM equipment from state of residence. Traffic citations indicating poor driving habits may disqualify applicants.
- Subject to call for emergency work at any time.
- Obtain certification on the equipment associated with line maintenance if assigned to use or operate.
- Operate motor vehicles normally used in line maintenance and construction.
- Obtain certification as a flag person.
- As part of the job requirements, the Lineman shall be required to apply restricted use pesticides, and, at the discretion of the Manager, may be required to obtain a pesticide applicators' permit. The Administration shall provide the necessary training for such a permit.
- Become certified to take a clearance within 30 days after reporting for duty.
- Occasionally, fly in helicopter or fixed wing aircraft in the performance of assigned duties.
- Obtain and maintain live-line bare hand certification (requirement for live-line bare hand crew members only).
To apply for this job please visit www.usajobs.gov.