Website Barrow Utilities and Electric Cooperative, Inc.
The Accounting Manager will oversee the accounting, financial reporting, budgeting and forecasting and other activities of the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties include but are not limited to the following.
- Establishes internal controls and guidelines for accounting transactions and budget preparation.
- Produce monthly financial statements, including the balance sheet, income statement and other financial reports, which include key metrics, ratios, financial results, and variance reporting.
- Oversees the production of periodic financial reports; ensures that the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) or financial reporting standards.
- Oversee the activities of the Cooperative’s accounting and administrative department, including the maintenance of the general ledger, subsidiary ledgers, and related records in accordance with GAAP.
- Manage working capital resources, including cash investments and short-term lines of credit.
- Manage coordination of wage and benefit survey participation and pay rate adjustments.
- Direct studies and review costs, including depreciation studies, cost of service studies, and tariff rate recommendations. Responsible for the tariff rate adjustment process.
- Collaborate with Cooperative leadership, advising and providing solutions for their financial information and analytical needs.
- Initiate or direct the research, creation, review, and revision of operational and financial policies and procedures and recommend adoption to General Manager.
- Establish or recommend to General Manager and Board major financial and economic objectives for the Cooperative. Implement these objectives through activities such as providing information to third party consultants for rate studies and cost of service analysis, preparation of long term financial forecasts, preparing loan applications for Board approval, maintaining effective cash management practices, and other appropriate duties that may be required to meet these financial and economic objectives.
- Coordinate the external annual audit by overseeing the assignments and work paper preparation; detail review of work prepared by others and serve as the primary liaison with the auditors.
- Formulate the annual operating budget, monitor for discrepancies and provide feedback on results.
- Lead and manage internal initiatives of the Finance department.
- Manages the accounting and administrative staff who are responsible for financial reporting, billing, collections, inventory management, work order processing and payroll.
- Recruits and hires accounting and financial staff and conducts annual performance evaluations.
- Coordinates training programs for new staff and identifies training needs for current staff.
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal government requirements.
- Assist in the development of Strategic Plan and align departmental goals with established Cooperative Mission.
- Attend all Cooperative board meetings, annual meetings, and answer financial questions from the Board or Members.
- Attend meetings for other organizations to represent BUECI as needed.
- Actively participate in courses, conferences, webinars, and relevant meetings to improve industry awareness, skills, and ability.
- Performs other related duties as necessary or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledgeable of the Cooperative and the I.B.E.W. local Union No. 1547 agreement operations, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Knowledge of preparing reports for management and measuring results.
- Knowledge of personal computers in a Windows environment, including use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of general record keeping and filing, and able to use standard office equipment.
- Skill in developing and administering a comprehensive budget and cost-effective management of resources.
- Skill in reading, interpreting, understanding, and applying Cooperative’s policies and procedures along with the agreement between the Cooperative and the I.B.E.W. local Union No. 1547
- Skill in analyzing processes for efficiency and make recommendations for improvement.
- Skill in leadership, coordinating staff, assessing, and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands, and delegating tasks and authority.
- Skills in negotiating agreements, reaching settlements, or explaining complex matters, justifying programs concerning issues that are controversial and/or critical to the operation of the organization.
- Ability to analyze complex financial data and explain variances.
Education, Experience, Certifications, and License Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business, or appropriate discipline required.
- Seven years of experience in general ledger accounting and financial management including 3 years of supervisory work experience.
- Valid Alaska driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screen and will be subject to random drug testing per DOT requirements.
- Full-Time position onsite in Barrow, Alaska. Relocation assistance available.
- Subsidized housing and vehicle provided.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is primarily required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, bend and frequently utilize a keyboard/computer. Specific vision abilities include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Be able and willing to work irregular hours or long continues periods of times to meet the needs of the Cooperative when they arise.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will occasionally be exposed to extreme weather.
This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. BUECI reserves the right to revise or change duties, responsibilities, and activities and may change at any time with or without notice.
BUECI IS AN EEO/M/F/D/V EMPLOYER
To apply for this job email your details to HR@BUECI.org