Company Name: City of Tacoma
Phone Number: (253) 591-5400
Job Title: Automation and Mechanical Engineering Supervisor
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: September 26, 2017
Salary: $113,172.80 - $145,080.00
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Tacoma Power’s Generation Section is seeking an experienced, innovative, results-oriented engineering leader to supervise the Generation Automation and Mechanical Engineering team. This position is based in Tacoma, Washington and supports four hydroelectric projects.
As the supervisor, you will lead a team of professionals, direct and plan new engineering projects, prioritize engineering support for existing systems, improve automated processes, and champion cyber security efforts to enable Tacoma Power to continue to provide safe, environmentally responsible, reliable and cost-effective mechanical and electrical generating resources while complying with all federal state and local regulatory requirements.
Tacoma Power is a municipally owned electric utility serving approximately 170,000 customers across a service area of 180 square miles, and is considered one of three key operating divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities. “Community Value First” is our strategic principle and we consider our decisions and priorities resources and programs based on the impact t our communities and rate payers. Tacoma Power employs approximately 850 employees, more than 200 of which are in the Generation Section.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Directly supervise a team of engineers and technicians to ensure engineering quality, design consistency and reliability of mechanical and automation systems at Tacoma Power’s hydro plants and fish hatcheries.
- Recruit, coach, and train engineers and engineering technicians.
- Provide direction and technical review of engineering design work.
- Maintain a supportive, positive, and engaged work environment with all levels of the organization.
- Oversee internal customer support and satisfaction
- Perform short and long term project planning, identify and assign project scopes and budgets, develop engineering standards, review and approve design drawings and software programming from professional engineers.
- Develop, maintain, and monitor group budget, forecast personnel requirements, authorize purchases and manage automation assets.
- Attend, prepare and preset information to staff, Utility Board, and the public at a variety of meetings and industry seminars.
- Assist with implementing and maintaining Generation’s Asset Management plans
- Promote standardization of engineering systems, processes and assets for operational efficiency.
Engineering Project Management
- Develop and lead project teams
- Identify and control project scope, schedule and budget.
- Develop specifications and RFPs, review and approve bids, negotiate and manage contracts, approve payments, and close-out contracts when work is complete or equipment is installed and commissioned.
- Keep engineering managers and hydro project managers informed of significant issues.
- Monitor contractor performance and compliance.
- Ensure plant automation projects are tracked and current
- Coordinate on-call assistance and troubleshooting to support existing systems
- Develop and maintain operating and maintenance procedures
- Perform engineering duties as needed to support any resource constraints
Network Security Support
- Champion cyber security network policies and procedures for plant control systems
- Maintain network drawings and a network asset list
- Establish clear and continuous communication to ensure that assigned roles and responsibilities are met
•A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college or university.
•At least seven years of experience as a practicing electrical, automation, or mechanical engineer.
•At least five years of experience engineering power generation systems, fish handling systems, or other systems with complex process controls.
•Experience supervising or managing engineers
•Experience with electro-mechanical equipment related to generation or fish operations
•Experience with PLC SCADA systems
•Experience with cyber security of industrial control systems
•A PE license or ability to attain one within two years
LICENSING, CERTIFICATIONS AND OTHER LEGAL REQUIREMENTS
•Professional Engineering license in Washington State or the ability to obtain one by comity.
•Valid Driver’s License.
The Professional skills for this position include:
•Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact respectfully, sensitively and frequently with individuals and groups, including operations and maintenance personnel, to develop and maintain productive relationships and achieve results.
•Ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and in writing, including the compilation of reports, presentations and records
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should apply online and attach a resume and cover letter. Applicants whose backgrounds most closely reflect the needs of the department may be invited to participate in an interview. Appointment is subject to passing a background check.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact Human Resources at 253-591-5400.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AND FILED ONLINE AT:
Posting End Date: October 25, 2017