Company Name: Franklin PUD
Phone Number: (509) 546-5954
Job Title: AUDITOR / ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Management
Posting Start Date: February 7, 2018
Salary: $126,845 - $188,567
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time Type: Hours
The position reports to the Board of Commissioners in the capacity of Auditor and, as Assistant General Manager (AGM) to the General Manager (GM). In the absence of the GM the AGM will perform the daily duties of the GM and act as the senior leader on the Management Leadership Team. As the chief financial officer of the District, it has responsibility for the District’s accounting function, including the annual budget, compliance with all applicable accounting standards, and internal auditing. The position further provides oversight and supervision to Accounting, Information Technology, Broadband, Contracts, and Public Records. As Auditor, the position is responsible for oversight of the Treasury function of the District.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assistant General Manager:
- Support the District’s mission and vision to serve our customers and foster a positive workplace environment by personally choosing behavior aligned with our values.
- In the absence of the General Manager, will be called upon to assume the daily duties of that position, to effectively continue the business of the District. This includes but is not limited to addressing customer complaints, managing activities related to commission meetings, presiding over the leadership team, signing District contracts and other legal documents.
- Contributes to setting the direction of the District as a senior member of the Management Leadership Team. Participates in the development and implementation of the District’s six-year strategic plan through biennial operating plans.
- Ensures the District remains an employer of choice by establishing a positive work environment for employees and creating a positive culture for our strong customer service ethic.
- Ensure positive labor relations by attending regularly-scheduled labor management meetings and participating in the collective bargaining agreement negotiations.
- Special Assignments: At the discretion of the GM, the position will oversee large projects having a major impact on the District.
- Performs other duties as assigned for AGM.
- Supervision: Provides direct supervision to the Administrative Services Administrative Assistant, Contracts Specialist, Public Records Officer, Accounting Manager, Information Technology Manager, Broadband Services Manager, and provides oversight of the employees the managers supervise. Oversees workload prioritization in all divisions of the department, according to customer and District needs. Responsible for decisions regarding staffing, including hiring, promoting, demoting, and taking disciplinary action. Performs employee evaluations, determines need for training and approves/denies paid time off. Recommends and approves salary actions.
- Administration of Accounting: Administers the financial affairs of the District, complying with policies, resolutions, laws, regulations, accounting practices and principles; makes financial presentations to staff and the Commission. Works with bond rating agencies to help assure appropriate rating is maintained. Establishes and maintains financial records and prescribes controls.
- Internal auditing: Establishes and implements internal audit programs. Makes recommendations to assure compliance with applicable rules and regulations. Advises the Commission regarding expenditures and approves payment.
- Budget: Plans, directs and controls the budget process. Proposes and manages the Department’s annual operating and capital budgets. Responsible for formulation and analysis of budget reports. Presents and justifies proposed operating budget to the General Manager and the Commission. Manages to budget throughout the calendar year. Makes budget status presentations to staff and to the Commission. Offers information and guidance to all departments in matters relating to budget preparation and implementation; performs analysis and provides information on the financial and budget impact of business decisions.
- Administration of Treasury function: Manages short and long term financing programs, including forecasting, investment strategies, cash-flow management, and makes recommendations to ensure the District meets its financial obligations/requirements.
- Broadband: Responsible for District’s broadband business unit which provides wholesale broadband services to retail service providers in Franklin County. Also responsible for strategic oversight to ensure that the broadband business unit is providing maximum value to the District.
- Information Technology: Responsible for the Districts Information Technology unit, which includes network infrastructure and security, operating systems and support, database administration, and business continuity.
- Contracts: In consultation with the District’s legal counsel, provides general oversight, of District contracts, bid documents, requests for proposals, and quote documents to ensure the proper execution of contracts and other legal documents. Serves as the District’s liaison for the legal counsel.
- Records management: Responsible for the District’s records management program and supervision of the Public Records Officer.
- Insurance: Responsible for the District’s liability and property insurance program. Ensures the District maintains insurance coverage at appropriate levels.
- Handling Claims: Responsible for managing claims made against the District as well as claims asserted by the District against other parties.
- Privacy Officer: Responsible for managing the District’s Identity Theft Prevention Program, by serving as the District’s Privacy Officer and heading the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA) Committee.
- Commission interaction: Responsible for informing the Commission of departmental matters and for appropriate recommendations on financial matters requiring Commission action. Attends regular and special meetings of the Commission and makes presentations as appropriate.
- Power Risk Management: Administers policies and serves as Chair of the District’s Risk Management Committee. Administers the Power Risk Management and Trading Operations program and participates as an integral part of the Risk Management Committee.
- Enterprise Risk Management: Co-chairs the Enterprise Risk Management program. Participates as an integral part of the enterprise risk management committee.
- Representation at meetings: Represents the District at meetings, conferences and other events, sponsored by members of the public power community, local service organizations and other entities, as deemed appropriate.
- Professional relationships: Maintains positive working relationships with appropriate officials at the local, county, state, and federal level, customers and vendors to promote the objectives of the District.
- Industry issues: Monitors and keeps current on accounting standards and practices, regulations relating to Accounting, Broadband, Information Technology, Public Records, and Contracts. Implements new programs and practices as necessary.
- Rates: Provides oversight of the District’s rate setting process, works with the District’s rate consultant and coordinates the activities of the Districts’ Rate Advisory Committee throughout the year. Develops presentations and leads Rate Advisory Committee meetings that occur at least annually.
- Performs other duties as assigned for Administrative Services.
Education and experience: A bachelor’s degree in public administration, accounting, business administration or related field is required, 15 years of progressively responsible work experience in the electric utility accounting environment and 10 years of senior management experience is also required. A broad background with all electric utility departments is preferred. A Certified Public Accountant designation is preferred.
Knowledge, skills and abilities: Thorough understanding of government accounting standards and ability to stay current on developments and changes to these standards. Understanding of automation and its uses in financial management, experience in general contract administration, public records and open public meetings, information technology and broadband. Strong management and leadership skills including the ability to successfully work in a team environment, mentor staff, plan and organize. Ability to effectively listen and communicate orally and in writing and make public presentations. Ability to analyze and solve problems conceptually
Posting End Date: February 25, 2018