Company Name: Barrow Utilities and Electric Coop,
Phone Number: (907) 852-6166
Job Title: Assistant Operations Superintendent
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Operations
Posting Start Date: October 20, 2017
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Basic Function: Assists the Operations Superintendent to provide supervision to a three-man natural gas crew, three-man lineman crew, and three-man garage mechanic crew, working primarily with each crew’s foreman, as well as seasonal student hires, to ensure safe and reliable Electric Distribution and Natural Gas distribution and Garage services.
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of the Operations Superintendent.
Distinguishing Characteristics: This position is distinct from the Operations Superintendent by the scope and breadth of management responsibilities, in that the Operations Superintendent manages the entire Electric Distribution, Natural Gas Distribution, and Garage divisions.
Major Job Elements:
- Provide technical support and leadership to crews to maximize safety, quality, and productivity within budget
- Schedule and supervise all crew activities
- Ensure safety practices are observed by all crews during their work
- Assist the foremen in identifying changes to the scope of work and documenting change orders
- Monitor quality of daily work and ensure construction/installations meets safety, agreed upon specifications, and industry standards
- Ensure the accuracy of information submitted by foremen (timecards, work orders, materials, etc.)
- Provide documentation, reports, and information to supervisor as directed
- Interface with the public to evaluate construction requests and provide quotes for work requests
See job description for full list of duties.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Thorough working knowledge of the work the crews are responsible to cover which includes, but is not limited to, the equipment and materials used to complete the work, sequencing of the work, potential safety hazards, and appropriate controls for each division (electric distribution, natural gas distribution and construction, mechanics for heavy equipment and pickups)Experience in installation and replacement of natural gas distribution lines, trenching, excavation, and confined spaces.
- Supervisory work experience of at least three (3) years in electric or natural gas distribution
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with members, consultants, supervisors, and other officials of government and private agencies, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to manage schedules, personalities and workflow of the project(s) while working with changing schedules and deadlines
- Able to smell natural gas
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record
- Intermediate computer skills
- Telephone service for emergency contact and response
- Subject to DOT prehire and random drug screening, OSHA prehire hearing, and physical exam
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of organization and management related to the electrical and natural gas utilities.
- Extensive knowledge of various federal and state regulations that apply to safety and operation of the electric or natural gas utilities such as Rural Utility Service (RUS) standards, Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA) code, and Plumbing code.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally works in outside weather conditions including extreme cold
- Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts, in high precarious places, and is occasionally exposed to heat, wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
- The noise level in the office work environment is usually quiet, while the field work environment may be moderate to loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
- Constantly is required to stand, walk; and use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls.
- Occasionally required to sit; climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to work more than 40 hours in a given week including weekend assignments as required.
Duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. Omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
How to Apply:
To apply: Submit a resume and completed Employment Application to the Central Office, Billing Department. Applications are available online at bueci.org and in the Central Office, Billing Department at 1295 Agvik Street, Barrow, Alaska. You may also email application to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action
BUECI does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability and genetic information (including family medical history). BUECI provides equal pay for equal work.
BUECI is in our 54th year! We provide electric production and distribution, natural gas distribution, water production and distribution, wastewater collection and treatment. We also provide a free service to the community: grave-digging.
BUECI offers career advancement, competitive wages, and an excellent benefit package including health and life insurance (Meritain), 401(k) and Retirement Security Plan with NRECA.
Posting End Date: November 19, 2017