Company Name: Kootenai Electric Cooperative, Inc.
Phone Number: (208) 292-3263
Job Title: Assistant General Manager
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Management
Posting Start Date: February 12, 2018
Salary Per: Per Month
Work Time Type: Hours
Kootenai Electric Cooperative is located in scenic North Idaho, the heart of abundant recreational opportunities. Settled in a beautiful lakefront mountain setting, it is a favorite destination for tourists. Just outside our back door are national forests, lakes, rivers, and trails offering plenty of opportunities for hiking, biking, boating/water sports, fishing, hunting, golfing, snow sports, and much more. The four distinct seasons offer recreational opportunities year round. The Coeur d’Alene/Hayden metropolitan area also offers a variety of entertainment and shopping venues and is a short 45 minute drive to Spokane, Washington and access to domestic and international air travel.
KEC’s mission is to provide exceptional service and reliable power to its members at competitve rates. It fulfills this mission for approximately 25,000 member owners. KEC is also experiencing robust growth. One of the core functions of the Assistant General Manager will be to help manage that growth strategically while delivering on our mission and remaining true to our core values.
Manages and provides leadership for the Cooperative. Acts as General Manager in the absence of the General Manager.
- Ensures continuity of operations in the absence of the General Manager acting as General Manager for all matters and business decisions that are urgent in nature, determining urgency based upon continuity of service to members, the cooperative’s reputation, and avoidance of costs and/or liability the cooperative might incur should action not be taken. Communicate with the General Manager on actions taken accordingly.
- Ensures resource requirements are planned to effectively and efficiently carry out assigned responsibilities, including but not necessarily limited to staffing, budget, materials, equipment, etc. Oversees workload scheduling of direct reports as may be assigned.
- Ensures goals, objectives, and work plans are aligned with and fully support Cooperative goals.
- Advances and achieves organizational objectives requiring interdepartmental involvement in a collaborative and effective manner.
- Resolves member concerns and coordinates services provided to them.
- Responsibilities will be according to the strengths of the candidate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires a 4 year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business Adminstration or equivalent professional experience.
- Requires at least 8 years of related work in the electric utility industry, preferably with a Cooperative or Public Utility District.
- Graduate level work in Business Administration is preferred.
- Five years of managerial or supervisory experience. Preferrably this experience should include managing those in exempt, non-exempt, represented and non-represented positions.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including oral and written communication, oral presentations, the ability to build strong working relationships, and the ability to interact positively and collaboratively with employees at all levels within the organization, KEC board directors, and as required, KEC members.
- Excellent demonstrated management skills within the electric utility industry, preferably with an electric cooperative or PUD, including the ability to effectively plan, organize, staff, direct, coordinate, and control departmental staff and work operations to attain established goals and objectives within resource constraints.
- Direct involvement with educating members/customers and experience in leading multi-disciplinary work groups in the achievement of established goals.
- Demonstrated experience working with all major technological systems used by an electric distribution utility and experience with implementing and efficiently integrating them within the work flows of a utility.
- Familiarity with rate design and cost of service analyses.
- Familiarity with power supply issues, preferably those in the Pacific Northwest and with BPA.
- Strong leadership skills, including skill in motivating and inspiring staff, building cohesive teams, solving problems, and making sound decisions.
- Skilled in development of human capital, including setting of individual performance objectives; coaching, guiding, training, and motivating subordinates; development of subordinates’ professional skills and competencies; measuring job performance, including performance evaluation; and identifying areas of opportunity to include implementation of appropriate developmental corrective plans.
- Fosters a professional image by personally being visible, a positive role model and displaying a positive attitude. Inspires others.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Ability to manage diverse work functions while balancing and adjusting priorities in accordance with changing requirements.
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to a rapidly-changing work environment.
- Ability to understand personal and departmental role in the bigger organizational picture, and to respond as an effective team member.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to compare, copy, compute, compile, analyze, coordinate, and synthesize.
- Comfortable surroundings – primarily office environment.
- Normally a 40 hour per week work schedule, but may vary depending on work requirements.
- Use of office technology, including computer monitor, keyboard, mouse, and related peripheral devices.
- Travel may be required.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must complete an online KEC employment application available at kec.com: https://www.kec.com/content/job-opportunities
Applications accepted until position is filled or position closed.
KEC is an EO employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability.
Posting End Date: April 11, 2018