Company Name: Portland General Electric
Phone Number: (503) 464-7250
Job Title: Analyst IV, Business (R17-530)
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Operations
Posting Start Date: December 8, 2017
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
For over 125 years, Portland General Electric has proudly served Oregon. Our dedication to helping customers is matched by our commitment to providing PGE employees with a diverse array of rewarding career opportunities. Diversity and community are at the heart of what we do for our customers and for each other. We are committed to a team that looks like the Oregon community that we know and love.
PGE team members are creative problem solvers who love to apply themselves to challenges, big and small. We are looking for team members who will grow their skills, their career and their future with us.
Analyst IV, Business (R17-530)
The Business Analyst (BA) works with stakeholders from all business units and related third parties to define and document business processes and software requirements for technology initiatives, and manages the ongoing planning, operation, and end user support of operations (Generation, Substation, T&D) applications including Work Management, Asset Management, Scheduling, Mobile Workforce Management, Graphic Work Design, Geospatial Information, and Outage Management systems. This Business Analyst works within a team of Generation, Substation, and T&D business professionals and supports the administration of these core operational applications.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide support to Lines of Business with a thorough understanding of business analysis. (75%)
- Perform proficient and complex business analysis of operations application data to support business stakeholders and recommend solutions based on analysis results.
- Consult with business stakeholders on improving process efficiencies, advising of software functionality available to improve performance.
- Develop business cases to help operations justify adding future enhancements.
- Recommend KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators) that can be extracted from the software to measure department performance or outputs.
- Communicate regularly and consistently with users and groups of users from lines of business to maintain business process knowledge, application uses and business pain points.
- Lead cross-functional teams to discuss potential business process and application improvements.
- Provide application support for end users through application training/consulting (includes 1,000+ Work & Asset Management users).
- Perform root cause analysis and identify corrective actions options (process and/or application).
- Communicate and interact with business users and IT partners to troubleshoot reported issues, clarify and/or confirm business requirements, recommend enhancements, validate defects, assist with testing of solutions, and prioritize.
- Facilitate workshops with business users to collect functional requirements for recommended changes to applications.
- Provide subject matter expertise and functional expertise to aid IT in the development of solutions to break-fixes, enhancements/upgrades, data conversion, and testing; and help ensure that project objectives and timelines are consistently met.
- Provide application governance for business-requested system changes and maintain standardization without stifling creativity.
- Prioritize application break-fixes and enhancements based on business value across operations.
- Identify and validate key business requirements, configure applications for end users, evaluate and approve access requests.
Provide support to the organization by supporting and leading efforts to improve Business Systems Administration enhancing the business. (25%)
- Present to users, peers and management regarding business analysis, process improvements and application support.
- Identify, participate and lead continuous improvement opportunities to improve team support to the business.
- Participate in appropriate application user groups and conferences in order to stay current with utility best practices and available functionality in operations applications and interact with BAs, users, and managers from other utilities.
- Identify and promote opportunities to improve application return-on-investment within the business.
- Communication with the following types of stakeholders for the following reasons will be required:
- Individual Contributors
- Application users for understanding and supporting their needs, and delivering information efficiently.
- Translation of user and stakeholder needs to business requirements.
- All levels for project reporting and data requirements.
- All levels to identify business changes and future enhancements.
- Technical Professionals
- Business stakeholders for developing and translating business requirements.
- IT for system maintenance, improvement, and interface issues, and hardware issues.
- Information Technology Project Managers for project interface issues.
- Software vendor system development and maintenance.
- Work proficiently and independently, with limited supervision, under stressful situations, and changing priorities.
- Work effectively when business requirements, program goals, or stakeholder personalities conflict with personal opinion.
- Effectively respond to stakeholders and end users when a requested change will not be considered for implementation.
- Proficiently organize input, assumptions, analysis and work products, prioritize a large workload and direct work of others.
- Ability to produce quality, accurate, and insightful products independently.
- Being a self-starter on learning job responsibilities and expectations, and leading positive change internally and externally.
- Consistently meet and beat deadlines.
- Independently identify problems and improvements, effectively prioritize them, and proactively initiate actions to resolve them.
- Workload may require working extended and atypical work hours in order to meet schedules.
- Comprehensive understanding of how applications interface with other systems and how changes impact integrations.
- Ability to influence and obtain support from personnel that you do not have authority over.
- Maintaining a questioning yet optimistic attitude.
- Facilitating teams that include strong-willed individual(s).
- Getting team members to effectively brainstorm and have an open mind without prejudice or preconceived notions.
- Obtaining acceptance from supervisors and managers to implement recommended application/process corrective actions.
- Prioritizing operational application fixes and enhancements to reflect business value across operations.
- Negotiating agreements with stakeholders and management.
- Evaluating business needs and solutions for operational effectiveness.
- Undergraduate degree with a minimum of 8 years of applicable experience preferred.
- Certified Business Analysis Thought Leader (CBATL) IIBA Level IV certification preferred.
- Certified Scrum Product Owner (SCPO) certification preferred.
- Expert in applying PGE Guiding Behavior principles.
- Expert at improving business processes in operations and understanding how these applications can impact work processes.
- Expert in analytical and problem solving skills with ability to conceptualize solutions and develop alternatives to complex problems.
- Expert in business process management methodologies such as LEAN and Six Sigma.
- Expert at communicating complex or controversial subject matter to users, management, or IT.
- Expert in oral and written communication skills suitable for formal presentations.
- Expert in relationship management and ability to influence client, stakeholders, and management.
- Expert with business value drivers and how systems contribute to business value.
- Expert in key user’s business processes, and working knowledge of other business processes.
- Expert in Maximo, ARM Scheduler, ARM Field Manager, GIS, GWD and OMS preferred.
- Expert at project self-management; proven ability to execute complex, open-ended projects with minimal supervision
- Extensive knowledge with corporate software applications used by operations.
- Extensive knowledge acting as proactive contributor of expertise, experience, creativity, and innovation to problem solving.
- Extensive knowledge leading, cross-functional groups, and to contributing to and accomplishing goals.
- Extensive knowledge comprehending and articulating complex tasks, concepts, and responsibilities that align with corporate directions.
- Extensive knowledge with software development lifecycle processes (Agile/Waterfall) and understanding software application integrations.
- Extensive knowledge facilitating and leading meetings such as user group or process design/improvement sessions with stakeholders.
- Extensive knowledge with delivering messages (both favorable and unfavorable) to clients, stakeholders, and management.
- Extensive knowledge in customer-facing role/responsibilities.
- Working knowledge with Prosci ADKAR change management model
PHYSICAL/MENTAL ABILITIES AND PROCESSES
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast paced, team environment.
- Ability to define optimum problem-solving approach for complex business/scientific problems.
- Ability to apply inputs of business experience, business value, user value, system capabilities, schedule, and IT cost estimates to develop options and recommendations.
- Ability to understand field operations applications and how they can impact operations.
- Ability to influence users, stakeholders, and IT based on information that is not always apparent.
- Ability to understand new/evolving functionality and business processes, and translate to improving current applications and processes.
- Ability to balance and multi-task assignments, projects, and responsibilities.
- Ability to work occasional extended hours to meet timelines or respond to unplanned situations.
- A valid driver’s license and ability to travel.
How to Apply:
Join us today and power your potential!
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the deadline: https://PGN.igreentree.com/CSS_External/CSSPage_Referred.ASP?Req=R17-530. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 503-464-7250.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
THIS IS AN INTERNAL / EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Posting End Date: January 8, 2018