Website Alaska Power and Telephone
Alaska Power & Telephone is hiring for a full-time Mechanical Engineer with 10 or more years of utility or industrial experience working out of an APT&T office or a home-based location in Alaska or the Pacific Northwest.
AP&T is an employee owned, vertically integrated utility that independently owns and operates ten isolated power systems across a large expanse of Alaska. We incorporate hydro, solar and diesel resources to provide economic power to the communities we serve. As a small utility we offer a diversity of experience. We work together to safely integrate innovative new generation resources, renewables, address day to day operational issues, install and maintain rotating equipment, address regulatory requirements and other such tasks. The successful candidate will work to find their own relative strengths within our engineering staff and ultimately take leadership on a variety of projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develop engineering designs for rotating equipment including generators, motors, auxiliary systems and other plant equipment.
· Develop conceptual, design and construction level plans
· Provide leadership in hydroelectric turbine maintenance encompassing turbines, couplers, bearings, oil monitoring programs, etc.
· Provide operational support for operations of diesel, hydro and other plant facilities including non-working hours emergency troubleshooting if needed
· Address engineering design problems; investigate, analyze, and develop corrective action plans; draft reports and studies. Present information to utility staff outside of the technical group as needed
· Prepare standards, equipment specifications, RFPs, and material requisitions
· Perform equipment installation, testing, startup, modifications, upgrades, repairs, and documentation
· Work closely with mechanics, plant operators and electricians during installations and troubleshooting
· Prepare SOPs and safety procedures for facilities
· Provide review of existing facilities for NESC compliance and violation tracking
· Work with rest of technical staff in yearly budgeting and planning, project information organization and tracking
· 2- or 4-year engineering or technical degree in a relevant area of study
· 10 or more years of field and design experience with plant typical of small utility or industrial installations (50 to 5000 kW Range)
· High level of skill in Pelton and Turgo hydroelectric turbine design and systems.
· Basic knowledge of diesel engine technologies and construction practices.
· Ability to self-motivate, manage time, plan projects, communicate with other team members
· Ability to safely identify hazards and work around electrical and mechanical equipment.
· Familiar with AutoCAD, Microsoft office and other similar basic computer tools
· Current passport and ability to travel to other locations, up to 25% of workload will involve travel, which is reduced if in or near AP&T served communities
· Mental flexibility, willingness to learn unfamiliar parts of the job and a positive attitude
· Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check
· Background in power generation and distribution systems, equipment and design practices
· Familiar with isolated Alaskan communities and challenges of travel and planning projects in the region.
· Hands on experience specifying, supervising installation and maintenance of hydro and diesel electric generation systems
· Knowledge of engineering design principles and engineering standards and codes applicable to electric utility
AP&T offers a generous benefit package including (but not limited to) a short-term incentive program (annual bonus), up to $125 annual medivac reimbursement, employee stock ownership options and an annual up to $150 in AP&T logowear. Recognition of our employees is important to AP&T’s values. We like to continuously show appreciation and recognition within our teams. AP&T is a small non-union utility serving over 40 Alaskan communities and villages. For more information about our organization, please visit https://www.aptalaska.com/.
Interested? Apply online at: https://aptalaska.workbrightats.com/jobs/884286-176045.html
EEO Employer/Vets/Disabled and Drug and Alcohol-free workplace
To apply for this job please visit aptalaska.workbrightats.com.