Website Alaska Electric Light & Power Co
This individual provides engineering support for operation, maintenance and capital improvement activities at AEL&P and Snettisham facilities. Duties include engineering design of power, control, relaying systems and SCADA systems; documentation; and administration of engineering or construction contracts. This individual analyzes the electrical system for safe efficient operation and monitors system reliability and resolves areas of concern as necessary. This individual works closely with System Operators to ensure effective SCADA system operation and provides support in the automation of AEL&P’s generation, substation, transmission and distribution systems. This individual provides guidance and direction to employees whose duties relate to the maintenance and operation of the Juneau Area power system.
KEY or ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Provides Engineering support for operation, maintenance, and capital activities at AEL&P and Snettisham facilities. Responsible for design, project management and construction oversight of maintenance and capital projects. Writes requests for proposals and evaluates proposals to recommend a suitable consultant, contractor, vendor or manufacturer. Writes project scoping documents and contracts, and works directly with consultants, contractors, vendors and manufacturers to ensure project schedule, budget and all other deliverables are met.
- Coordination and design of AELP and Snettisham protective relay and automation schemes. Analyzes the electrical system for efficient and safe operation and updates the electrical system engineering model and databases.
- Serve in on-call rotation (approximately one out of every six days) as a Duty Engineer, the management person in charge of all AELP operations and facilities outside of business hours. This includes responding to after-hours calls, determining solutions, directing crews and ensuring compliance with all safety and environmental regulations.
- Generation Department Safety Program including coordination with Company Safety Engineer on the AELP Safety Plan regarding Generation facilities and activities.
- Develops engineering design and construction standards, specifications, drawings and materials standards.
- Responsible for generation facilities compliance with all federal, state, local, environmental and safety regulations that apply.
- Responsible for overseeing AELP’s communications systems; including fiber optic, leased lines, 5.8GHz radios, 900MHz radios and VHF radios.
- Administer Generation Department Training Programs.
- Assist in the annual update and maintenance of the Emergency Action Plan which outlines procedures to be followed in the event of a failure of the Salmon Creek Dam.
- Updating of the Generation Department procedures.
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of departmental Operating, Maintenance, and Capital budgets.
- Provide electrical engineering support to other departments.
This position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, an emphasis in power systems is preferred. A valid Alaska State Driver’s License is required.
A minimum of ten (10) years of work experience in electrical utility engineering activities is preferred.
A Professional Engineering License in the State of Alaska or the ability to obtain one within one year is preferred.
A minimum of two (2) years of work experience in electrical utility engineering activities is preferred.
Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam.
To apply for this job please visit www.aelp.com.