Website Alaska Electric Light & Power Co
Job Title: Director of Information Technology
Reports To: General Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Information Technology is a hands-on position that requires both administrative experience and in-depth technical knowledge to maintain the company’s network, applications, and regulatory requirements. This position will work with all levels of the company from end-user support to inter-departmental planning and reporting to the company’s board of directors, and is a member of the leadership team at AEL&P.
KEY or ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The essential functions/responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Operation, maintenance and additions to IT systems and underlying network architecture.
- Preparation and implementation of the IT departmental operating, maintenance, and capital budgets.
- Preparation and updating of 10-year IT capital expenditure plan.
- Maintenance of all software licenses associated with IT operations.
- Design, maintenance and testing of data backups and business continuity plans.
- Design, maintenance, and testing of data breach response plans.
- Oversee daily operations and maintain reliability of the fiber network in support of SCADA communications.
- Security, safety, and neatness of computer rooms at Lemon Creek and Thane substation.
Security (both physical and electronic) of the servers, workstations, and computer network.
- Firewall and network administration.
- Administration and support of storage area networks.
- Analyze IT infrastructure to assess performance and determine a schedule of when assets need to be upgraded or replaced.
- Company security, including updates to the Security Plan.
- Overall safety of the Information Technology Department.
- Manage company e-mail and intranet systems.
- Other projects and studies as specified by the General Manager.
Secondary functions of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Training of all departmental staff.
- SQL Database administration.
- Assist all computer users with all computer related problems.
- Manage and maintain VOIP telephone system.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft 365 and Azure AD
- Microsoft Exchange server
- NetApp storage
- Enterprise networking concepts: WAN/LAN, VPN, Layer 2 and Layer 3 device configuration, monitoring and troubleshooting
- Enterprise firewall management
- VOIP telephony
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- Microsoft SQL Server administration
- Strong scripting skills
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, or engineering with a minimum of 10 years of IT experience. Professional certifications in Microsoft’s Certified Professional program preferred. Five years of experience in a managerial position is preferred.
Personal computers, laptops, mobile phones, network tone testing equipment.
The work environment is generally sedentary. Periodically the employee will need to be able to lift up to 50 pounds and occasionally work in a noisy environment. The ability to get in and out of small fixed-wing aircraft or helicopters at remote sites is needed. The ability to climb ladders in and out of boats may be required.
- Possess good interpersonal and customer service skills to courteously deal with and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other employees, outside vendors, contractors, and the general public.
- Work in a fast-paced environment, with constant interruptions and distractions. The ability to multi-task, adapt to changing priorities, and meet set deadlines is required. Attention to detail and strong organizational, analytical skills are required. Must be able to work efficiently without supervision to meet deadlines and balance multiple tasks.
- Be able to work well and complete duties accurately while under pressure, while attending to multiple duties simultaneously.
- Have demonstrated ability to be punctual and reliable in attendance.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization, outside agencies, governmental bodies, and the public.
- Have the demonstrated ability to weigh competing factors and make decisions in a technical environment, sometimes with a lack of adequate data.
At Alaska Electric Light and Power Company, we maintain a drug-free workplace with a commitment to safety and job satisfaction. All employees much comply with AEL&P company policies, including the Drug and Alcohol Policy.
The position is an exempt salaried position. Salary is dependent upon experience.
AELP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
To apply for this job please visit www.aelp.com.